SAU Community

External VCT

rbs30

Im sure this has been covered a few times, but last time i built an RB30 i deleted VCT. I want to use it this time. 

I see some people say to just drill and tap into the gallery on the head, and others weld a -3 fitting. Trying to figure out the best way to go. How thick is the aluminium before you get to the gallery? If its thick enough i guess a tapered thread is fine but wasnt sure if a weld on fitting would be better. 

Lol nah man not blowing smoke out ur ass. Keep getting sidetracked every time I try to respond haha. So that looks like it goes down just in front of the solenoid does it? Have you had it going yet? Looks good. I like the idea of having a bit more meat there to tap

Its been running for a year, works perfectly. This method over 6mm of aluminium to thread through, just had to buy a new slim tap holder as mine was old and gigantic. This method the oil is directed exactly where the gallery leads to anyway. See picture 2  I aimed the drill hole at the centre of the gallery plug.

Nice. I like it. I work in a machine shop so I could just mill that section of the deck away. I like the idea of 6mm of thread. Did you tap it 1/8 bsp same as the oil sender? Did you get that hose made at a hydraulics place?

On 2/23/2019 at 9:34 AM, Rusty Nuts said:

Neo doesn't need restrictor so no for mine, but earlier models do need restrictor

Although there are others who have done the conversion who have not used a restrictor. But I think they used a smaller diameter feed line. IMHO because I have tapped off a feed with a restrictor in the circuit above it the pressure would be right but perhaps the volume may be larger, which I figured wouldn't matter because there is restriction in the VCT valve itself.

• Like 1