SAU Community

Block pcv after catch can install

All, 

Here is my situation. Car is runnig at 1.3 bar with standard gasket.

compression and leak test was done all in green area . turbo is hybrid. not a drop of oil in intake or intercooler

what is causing the smoke is pcv valve . If I block it, car will smoke like hell both mixture of white colour and smoke . We are talking clouds and as if turbo is blown

if I keep it, it smokes and can see blue and at times white colour smoke and I can only assume it is the oil from pcv.

now I am running the camshaft cover to a catch can and the pcv to a can . I think car can't breath or is breathing too much so would a solution be to drill two more hole on the camshaft cover and block pcv?

I verified this by unplugging one side of pcv and oil was fair amount in the bonnet area within few minutes. No oil from the cam shaft covers!!! well there is but a lot smaller.

i don't think it is gasket or water coolant as coolant level has not gone done slightest amount in 2000 miles

thought?

Edited by drifter17a

You have been saying the same thing since March.

The solutions are in this thread - start half way though -

https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/110680-oil-control-in-rbs-for-circuit-drag-or-drift/?tab=comments#comment-2039323

25 minutes ago, KiwiRS4T said:

You have been saying the same thing since March.

The solutions are in this thread - start half way though -

https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/110680-oil-control-in-rbs-for-circuit-drag-or-drift/?tab=comments#comment-2039323

well it stopped and then it started as of two days ago hence why posting back. to be fair I am starting to use it more often now compared to before maybe why I am noticing now

read it and it does seem you need a mechanic and costly solution by drilling oil galleries etc

does that means everyone here with 400+ bhp does this ? It is strange how no one lists this problem

when I look on net, pretty much every one says it is valve problem

Edited by drifter17a

3 hours ago, drifter17a said:

well it stopped and then it started as of two days ago hence why posting back. to be fair I am starting to use it more often now compared to before maybe why I am noticing now

read it and it does seem you need a mechanic and costly solution by drilling oil galleries etc

does that means everyone here with 400+ bhp does this ? It is strange how no one lists this problem

when I look on net, pretty much every one says it is valve problem

There are many people with modified engines contributing to the oil control thread so hardly "no-one"

In my experience SAU, while not infallible, is more likely to solve a problem than any other single website.

Quoting you drifter17...

"one question though, i seem to be going from high to low on dip stick every 200 miles or even less so burning around 200 ml "

Not the same thing being said.

Wich is it?

Compression figures?

1 hour ago, Slap said:

Quoting you drifter17...

"one question though, i seem to be going from high to low on dip stick every 200 miles or even less so burning around 200 ml "

Not the same thing being said.

Wich is it?

Compression figures?

OP has had an oil control problem since at least early March. If you read this thread from the beginning you will see he has compressions of 165 but his leak down test is 10%. The person carrying out the leak down test should have been able to tell him whether it was leaking from the rings or the valves but by the symptoms he reports it could be both.

If you read the oil control thread (say from half way through) you will see that there are ways of managing the problems.

Drifter17, if its not burning oil like it was, why?

What else could it be burning?

If your compression is still the same after driving it around losing oil then not and add blowin allsorts of smoke i would think thats amazing, but after so long seeing wich cylinder(s) are the culprit shouldnt be hard to tell, re test compression, pressure test coolant system and leak test inlet manifold.

My guess is that if your motor seems fine , maybe its a small leak water jacket/intake of the inlet manifold gasket .

Just a guess.

Goodluck!

• 5 months later...

I am new to this forum but have solved all my problems through this site over the last 5 years owning gtr's.  I had this same issue on my 93. I removed the large custom catch can setup the car came with, reinstalled a new pcv(was blockled) and fitted a Nismo catchcan. motors runs great to this day and like you I thought I had blow by issus and a bad motor. I see very little oil in my turbo piping now. hope this helps. don't give up motor could still be ok.