SAU Community

R33 knocking/tapping noise from lower timing belt cover

Hey guys, so I'm in the middle of moving (can't start taking things apart too much because the car needs to be able to be driven to the new house).

I have a consistent light knocking sound coming from the lower timing cover. I thought it was rod knock since the knocking is consistent at idle and increases with rpms.

I used a broomstick to determine that the noise was coming from the lower timing belt cover BUT when i pushed on the cover a bit too hard, the noise sort of died down/changed (the noise changes depending on how hard you push on the cover). What do you guys think it could be? This all happened after I boosted the car to 120km/h when it was relativity cold (stupid). I'll work on the car when I'm finished moving but it's killing me not knowing if the engine is f**ked or not. Any help is appreciated.

Could be anything tbh.  Water pump, HB, belt, CAS, oil pump, idler wheel, cam wheels etc all live under there.  Could even be something loose inside the covers? You will have to strip the covers off when you can. Just too hard to diagnose otherwise...they would only be guesses.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, tridentt150v said:

Could be anything tbh.  Water pump, HB, belt, CAS, oil pump, idler wheel, cam wheels etc all live under there.  Could even be something loose inside the covers? You will have to strip the covers off when you can. Just too hard to diagnose otherwise...they would only be guesses.

Yeah thanks for the advice mate. I've taken off the top cover so it's nothing under that one, so it's something to do with the bottom cover (which I don't think I can take off without removing the timing belt, need to move houses first). Hopefully nothing internal. 

The cover will come off with the belt on.
Its the pulley and drive belts that are in the way.
You may need a puller or to make one.
Use the bolt holes on the pulley dont use a clasping puller.