SAU Community

R32 GTR new clutch

Hello,

I am looking at getting a Mantik Twin plate 9000 series ceremetallic sprung centre clutch and would like to hear from anyone you has had/used one on a GTR?

Before you say go get a Nismo I can get these at cost so its less than 1/2 the price (well less).

So even I had to do 2 of them in the life of a Nismo im still saving money.

But I still dont want a dog a clutch like my current Exedy Twin plate carbon rubbish....the wife to sacred to drive it with this in it.

Nothing wrong with Mantic clutches, as long as it's the right one for your needs.  

What power/mods do you have on the car, and what specifically is your concern with the exedy?

Sprung centre clutches will always engage more smoothly, and while having fewer pucks increases their ability to hold more power they can get shuddery and jerky as a result.

Also, the guys at Mantic know their stuff and do R&D locally, so give them a call if you have questions. They aren't just a website listing like a lot of brands these days....

The car is a street car 99% of the time. It is about 360kw atw but that is going up to 400 soon with a new set of injectors and retune.

I am replacing my sloppy R32 gearbox with a newer R33 unit I got from a wrecker (50,000 less kms on it and the transfercase).  So while its out I will replace the Exedy which has done 40,000kms and about 6 years of service. 

The Exedy is just a dog to drive anyone that attempts to drive my car stalls it and the wife is far to scared to even get in the drivers seat.

I have heard some good things about Mantik and some people say they are rubbish.  But I think for the price I cant overlook it.  

I've heard of them, however never experienced one.

But my only recommendation is to go with a sprung centre/discs as it's 99% a street car as you've said.

However, since you're only pushing sub 400kW have you given much thought into a NPC 10" single plate carbotic clutch? Yes they use Exedy parts however they're modified to allow soft pedal operation and smooth engagement. Another option (if you're in Sydney ish area) is to hit up Scott at Western Clutch. He can mix and match parts to suit your needs and also modify pressure plates to suit engagement style as well as clamp pressure. My last clutch came from Scott and handled 3 years of abuse on the track with 370kW+ out back on a single disc.