SAU Community

Has anyone used a Pathfinder power steering pump for the HICAS delete?

PT1

I recently purchased my first Skyline and the owner stated that they had done the HICAS delete. I am unsure what path they took, but I have the dash light on AND he claims to have utilized a Pathfinder power steering pump. I read through the various HICAS posts and saw lots of good ideas,  but I did not see this listed as one of them. Has anyone had any experience with this? I got the car and the belt was splitting, I used the part number from the belt to replace it (the belt looked relatively new). Now, the second belt has shredded in less than a week. The pump has a standard tensioner with a grooved track, one long bolt that adjusts tension, and another bolt that locks it in place on the track and provides minimal in and out adjustment. Everything looks ok, but clearly if I am eating belts there is an issue. What I have noticed on both instances, is that the belt splits directly down the middle; I am unsure what this is indicative of.

PT2

Will it hurt the power steering rack if I drive it without power steering? My temporary solution has just been to drive it manually, sans belt. 

Cannot comment on Pathfinder pump.  But realistically, so long as the pump places the pulley in the right spot, just about any pump will do.

HICAS "delete" does not imply that the HICAS warning light will not illuminate.  If you do it wrongly, you will get the code.  The HICAS CU is responsible for providing your variable rate power steering.  Therefore, to retain this, you must retain the CU.  If you remove the remainder of the HICAS system (actuators, sensors, etc) then it will chuck the shits and throw up the warning light.  The solution to this problem is to leave the larger of the two connectors attached to the back of the HICAS CU and disconnect the smaller of the two.  The important parts of the HICAS will still do their job, but no dash light.  Or, you just remove the bulb from behind the dash.  The plug is easier.

Yes, you can drive without power steering.  It is much much harder work, especially at parking speeds, but it actually feels nice on the move.

Assuming that the Pathfinder pump is incorrect in some way, you should obtain an early RB25 PS pump as an easier approach to making sure that the pump will line up with the other pulleys on the engine.  Or, you can just put an original R32 PS pump back on it and use the rear stage of the pump to run a separate PS cooling loop.

Ok, I was most concerned about running the power steering “de powered” I know some cars are sensitive about that. 

The dash light I was referring to more as I thought it was evidence of some kind of HICAS work. I will follow up with the previous owner and see if he can explain what all has been done.

HOPEFULLY, I won’t have to purchase any extra parts, but we shall see. The other options are certainly easier; I would just rather spend the money on fun stuff.