SAU Community

New R32 LED Headlights

Being LEDs, there's every chance that they suck at making light go on the road.  They would also be a lot nicer with less shiny bling inside them.  They would also draw the cops' attention (here in Oz) in seconds and earn you a defect.

If it wasn't for all those things, I'd probably give 'em a try.

I agree with GTSBoy, I like them otherwise but.

At a guess though I think theyre priced around $1250... for this amount you could your headlights retrofitted in Australia with top of the line gear and you could get them made to your particular tastes. All in all money could be better spent otherways IMO

One crappy output picture = instant crackpipe. I have some OE LED projectors to retrofit, I'll get around to it eventually.

I'm not a fan of quads, but those housings look interesting. So we should see those on alibaba soon :)

It's probably irrational but I sort of want these. But what I really want is someone to buy 1st and show me how awesome they perform. Black internals would be better.

I have N1 headlights which are candles. Would love to upgrade.

You can sell your N1 headlights on eBay and get decent money back to fund these LED ones.  

Personally I like the factory headlights because they are made of real glass and won't oxidize.  I recently bought a factory projector assembly and I think I know why it is so awful.  The assembly is ~189mm long overall with a ~31mm thick lens.  I will throw a few different modern lens on it and see if that improves anything...

• 2 years later...

30 months later and there are still no half price backdoor 2nd shift ones available on aliexpress.

I'm still sorta tempted. The black housings are less blingy and therefore more tasteful, but somehow the massive change in appearance from the stockers also isn't the way I want to go.

The alternative appears to be the Morimoto M LED 2.0 projectors that you can retro in the same way as previous HID options, that seem to be a good choice. To be fair....anything new, even a bad LED, is likely to be so far ahead of the stock projectors that it will seem like perfection. But the Moris are going to cost >$700 landed, and then you still have to dismantle and rebuild the housings. Seems like a tough value proposition against the Coplus/78-works ones at circa double that price point. Plus, with the full replacements, you put the unmolested originals in the shed.

Personally I think the "massive change in appearance" looks better than retrofit.  It's got a nice design and makes the car look modern, plus the sparkling daytime running light looks way better in person.  With any retrofit it looks, well, retrofit.  In addition to the contrast look of an aftermarket projector, the gap between projector and factory bezel just never looked right.  Again, that's only my personal take.  As you mentioned, being able to keep the stockers as whole and unmolested sealed the deal for me.

I can tell you the LED is not as bright as HID, but the cutline is very crisp.

fEYOVRE.jpg