SAU Community

ARP timing studs for RB engines

Have read a few instances of people reporting the Nissan OEM timing bearing stud, and bolt, having broken which would be catastrophic to the engine whilst running....and you know I don't use the word catastrophic lightly, it's too much trouble to type to be thrown around willy-nilly.

Have seen this listing here for an unofficial ARP timing bearing stud and bolt set

https://www.boostfactory.ca/products/arp-timing-tensioner-stud-and-nut-for-rb20-rb25-rb26-rb30?variant=21433604505684

but haven't seen a listing for it anywhere else at all. It seems like a good idea to me to use a hi qual fastener like ARP for these bearings especially if running stiffer valve springs, tougher more rigid timing belt etc - what do y'all reckon, overkill or good idea?

I reckon that's overkill, and crazy money. The Nissan stud works, so long as it hasn't been over tightened in its life, so replacing with a new stock one torqued properly makes me comfortable.(uusing stock valve springs)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed its fkn expensive especially when you see the shipping cos to Aus on that listing. I haven't seen anyone else list that kit, tho i imagine is nothing special, just a question of finding the right part no for those sizes?

15 minutes ago, KiwiRS4T said:

How about you buy  high quality steel bolts. Cut the heads off and thread the ends.

Nope you want a rolled thread for strength not a cut one

Every time I’ve seen one break it’s been the bolt on the idler. I was unfortunate enough to have it happen on my first skyline in 2002, gave me a good reason to get rid of the rb20 and fit an rb25 though ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Is there any further update on this?

I have so far fitted these up but not yet started/driven the car.

First off the tensioner stud is longer that factory so lower timing cover needs to be cleareanced to fit.