SAU Community

R34 problems

Joshnew6

Hey guys! I'm running 25 pounds of boost on E85 in my 96 R34, when the pedal is flat to the floor it starts breaking up dose anyone know any reason why this might happen?

57 minutes ago, Joshnew6 said:

I was told that I should gap them down from 0.8 to 1.1m 

Other way around.  Stock is 1.1mm, gapped down means smaller, ie 0.8mm.

Gapping them down can (and will) help if the coils just aren't good enough to run against the boost....but these days any misfire should be taken as a reason to upgrade the coils.  Yaris, Audi, R35 GTR, etc are all options these days.

This topic will probably help you Josh,

As stated above if smaller gapped plugs don't work you'll need to upgrade your coilpacks, the three options what come to mind are Splitfires (around $500), yellow jackets ($300), or yaris coil pack mod ($150ish)

• 1 year later...

just for closure, I was a newbie to everything to do with Rb's, I was running 25 Psi on E85 with spitfire coils, and the problem ended up being that I was running cheap copper plugs, changed to iridiums and problem solved!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 7:14 PM, GTSBoy said:

Other way around.  Stock is 1.1mm, gapped down means smaller, ie 0.8mm.

Gapping them down can (and will) help if the coils just aren't good enough to run against the boost....but these days any misfire should be taken as a reason to upgrade the coils.  Yaris, Audi, R35 GTR, etc are all options these days.

gapping down to .06mm is suggested when running high boost with e85 does that sound right?

48 minutes ago, SKY5HW said:

gapping down to .06mm is suggested when running high boost with e85 does that sound right?

0.6mm bro, 0.06mm is not cool!

Yes gapping plugs down is reccomemend if coils aren't powerful enough

1 hour ago, SKY5HW said:

32 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

0.6mm bro, 0.06mm is not cool!

Yes gapping plugs down is reccomemend if coils aren't powerful enough

Note word with emphasis. It's a really weak if. The real recommendation is to improve the coils. Gapping down plugs is a bandaid. Bandaids should not be used where proper fixes exist.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2020 at 6:36 PM, Joshnew6 said:

just for closure, I was a newbie to everything to do with Rb's, I was running 25 Psi on E85 with spitfire coils, and the problem ended up being that I was running cheap copper plugs, changed to iridiums and problem solved!!

This really doesn't make much sense, unless your copper plugs were old and fouled and the problem was fixed with new plugs. Iridiums dont give you a better spark than coppers, they are just supposed to last longer. But on a modified high performance engine you dont tend to get that longevity out of them and need to replace them more often anyway. The price difference between coppers and iridiums is why most people on here will be running coppers. 

But yeh, I agree with GTSBoy here, gapping plugs is SO 2010. Nowadays R35 and Audi R8 conversion kits are a dime a dozen, I'm amazed 'Splitfire' and 'feeler gauges' are still words that people know.