SAU Community

cts-v brake swap

57 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

Very nice . In case people don't realise these are the same as the brembo brakes fitted to VF commodores.

I did not, though have heard great things about CTSV kits in general and had thought about converting to them one day, as the pad size in these things is massive, way, way, way, way bigger than the D2/Ksport/Attakd 356mm kit I currently have.

Alpha Omega did a kit for the S15 but don't do it anymore..

1 hour ago, PranK said:

Good info!

Actually I will add to the good info now that I think of it.

commodores had different tapped holes in the caliper depending on the year. Can't remember what size or when it changed.....

not a dealbreaker but something to keep in mind with brake swaps

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Darkslide88 said:

What offset are your wheels? I currently have 17x9 +22s. And the stock caliper comes pretty close the wheel, maybe 5-6mm of clearance

Get better wheels. Factory are +40 and clear the standard 4 pots

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 7:43 PM, GTSBoy said:

Offset has less impact than you think. Spoke shape is more important. After all, the hub face of the wheel is always the same distance from the brakes, regardless of the offset.

Makes sense. This is what I’m working with right now, i just don’t want to order everything and the calipers not fit behind the wheels

D65320D0-4A28-43C4-ACD3-EB2D17AA9F6E.jpeg

A91304BD-331C-40F2-B3F6-17F89FE67A47.jpeg

AB820D7A-0DD1-45A8-BDBB-B7761EFB2799.jpeg

Yah, see the back face of those spokes is not very far from the hub face. That's a function of both the style of the wheel/spoke and the offset. A lower offset wheel might give you more room there because there would be more meat in the hub face, even if nothing else changed. But other wheels will have a deeper recess for the wheel nuts and the spokes are therefore further out, or curve out a bit more, etc etc.

Anyway, those wheels look to be about the worst possible for brake clearance (that still clear!).

5 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Yah, see the back face of those spokes is not very far from the hub face. That's a function of both the style of the wheel/spoke and the offset. A lower offset wheel might give you more room there because there would be more meat in the hub face, even if nothing else changed. But other wheels will have a deeper recess for the wheel nuts and the spokes are therefore further out, or curve out a bit more, etc etc.

Anyway, those wheels look to be about the worst possible for brake clearance (that still clear!).

Well that’s just fantastic lol, i like the simple 5 spoke look, but really wanted to fit some bigger brakes. I guess i can’t have my cake and eat it.

I would say it depends on both spoke face and offset, and the Enkei RS05RR is a good example.  The 18x10 +22mm would not clear stock R32 caliper, however both 18x9.5 +22mm and 18x10.5 +15mm would.  I emailed Enkei Japan directly and that's the response I got.  The 9.5 is M face and 10/10.5 are R face. 

9 hours ago, Darkslide88 said:

Well that’s just fantastic lol, i like the simple 5 spoke look, but really wanted to fit some bigger brakes. I guess i can’t have my cake and eat it.

I know what you mean. The Desmond Regamaster style is a great, simple design, and has huge brake clearance. Unfortunately the copies don't, as they tend to favour dish and it's probably cheaper to make small backspace wheels (or there's no big demand for big brake clearance). Sadly the remake of their EVO2 wheels comes in weird (to us Nissan folk) sizes (still in pre-order stage it looks like).

Generally you want wheels that clear Brembo or Akebono 4 pots. Enkei usually lists what brakes their wheels clear.

3 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

I know what you mean. The Desmond Regamaster style is a great, simple design, and has huge brake clearance. Unfortunately the copies don't, as they tend to favour dish and it's probably cheaper to make small backspace wheels (or there's no big demand for big brake clearance). Sadly the remake of their EVO2 wheels comes in weird (to us Nissan folk) sizes (still in pre-order stage it looks like).

Generally you want wheels that clear Brembo or Akebono 4 pots. Enkei usually lists what brakes their wheels clear.

Ya i guess wheel spacers is always an option to clear brakes