SAU Community

Nismo Rims question

I scored these 17inch Nismo rims for my 33 and was wondering how much they might be worth as I can't find them anywhere online as their most likely old school,  but they say Rays Eng on the back (rays engineering) I've found the lmgt wheels look a lot like them but they don't have the groove design mine have.  

IMG20190314161506.jpg

after researching I found they look a lot like the Volk AV3 rays racing rims the only thing that's missing is the "vr" logo in the middle. I've added both a picture of the volks racing wheel and the rim that I have. It's almost like the middle parts been taken out and the nismo logo has been placed there. Thoughts? 

images (1).jpeg

Send through a picture of the bacl of the wheel. I fancy myself a bit of a google slueth. Normally there's a bunch of part numbers stamped into the wheel.
You can normally trace the part number to a brand.

I can't post a picture of the backs at the moment as their already on my car. My last rims were starcorps, and the front ones were wrecked and I picked up a full set of these rims for $400 so I smacked them all on asap so I could go for a drive, I was a bit keen. I went out though and because only two of the rims had the nismo logo on them I was suss, and yep the nismo logo is in fact a sticker. However all the bolts ect say Rays. So I'd say their defiently the volks racing AV3S & the only wheel I can really find that's genuine nismo with a similar design is the LMGT range, I still got the rims cheap I suppose with decent tyres bit shattered now though the excitements worn off and I've over looked them, lol.  The volks racing centre caps have just been removed however the AV3S seem to have "volks racing" written on the side as pictured above,  the ones I have don't as I've looked at the wheels without stickers. The only markings I can see from the front is what looks like the star sign Virgo M (best way to explain it) and "via" written just before it. I'd say their definitely genuine rays though. Hmm. I'm just putting it all together to sell it so I wanted to make sure I know everything that's on it to negotiate a fair price and if I can't find the right wheels online to look at rough second hand prices I'll never know. But I'm sticking with their Volks Racing av3 rims. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nikkirosee said:

however the AV3S seem to have "volks racing" written on the side as pictured above,  the ones I have don't as I've looked at the wheels without stickers

As you've already noticed the NISMO logo is just a sticker, so it's very likely the "Volk racing" in the above pic was also just a sticker that has been removed or deteriorated with age, so i'd agree they're gong to be the Volk AV3 as you've suggested,

• Thanks 1

Most Nismo stuff is rebadged from other manufacturers so you probably have genuine Nismo wheels made by Rays Engineering. My Bilsteins were labelled "Nismo". Nismo oil is supplied by Motul.

I'll give you $100 for the set if you pay freight?

My partner is saying somewhere on the back of the rim it says nismo but until I take one off to look, the wheels have all the exact same markings and design of the Rays Volks racing av3 alloy wheels,  just without center caps as now I've found the av3s are discontinued and hard to come by.  I paid $400 for the ones I have on now lol so no thank you,  however I do have a set of starcorp 18inch Impuls. All the tyres are shagged,  both rear rims are in good nick except one has scratches. Both front rims are free because they need repairing but you can't buy them anymore, so if you like vintage Shit and starcorp stuff it's alright haha, $200 for those and I'll post no worries. Lol. 

Edited by Nikkirosee

If anyone wants these, just ask. $200 tyres are no good, two front rims are free as their chipped and need repairing before use. 

I pulled off one set of vintage tyres and ended up with more, think I've done OK there lol. 

IMG20190321201857.jpg

Yeah those are Volks with a nismo sticker, as you said centre caps have been removed (they just pop out).

Both are made by Rays Engineering but they're definitely not nismo's.

5 hours ago, lidz said:

Yeah those are Volks with a nismo sticker, as you said centre caps have been removed (they just pop out).

Both are made by Rays Engineering but they're definitely not nismo's.

Yes as soon as I looked closer, I tried to tell my boyfriend their just stickers, he wasn't having a bar of it. So I stalked google asked some pros and now he believes me. The only rays nismo wheels are the lmgt line for GT-RS. While they had the same kind of similar look with the bolts ect I knew they weren't it and it wasn't hard to tell the rays engineering part was legit, I eventually found them. Took a whole day still though to prove my point lol. 

2 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

$400 pretty good for a set of Volk Racing wheels that aren't damaged.

Oh yeah they are in great condition and haven't even gave them polish yet. Will make a nice touch when I sell her. 

8 hours ago, Steve85 said:

Aww. No googling? Ok, never mind. 

Sounds like you've done pretty well picking up Volks for $400. :)

Sorry, bet you to it. Haha. Yeah I'm happy with that :)

• Like 1