SAU Community

RFID ignition disabler

Hcr32typem

Hey guys,

So where I live in the US we've recently had a big uptick in car thefts as my state just made it so juveniles are no longer being punished as adults for grand theft auto. Because of this and other security reasons I was thinking of using some sort of RFID system to immobilize the starter through the ignition system so the car can't be started without the RGID fob or perhaps more classy, a ring.

I've had some big issues in the past with aftermarket alarm systems and I'd prefer not to use anything like that here.

Does anyone have any experience with this or this type of system that might be able to get me started?

Given the (lack of) reliability of aftermarket/consumer RFID bullshit, I'd be highly unlikely to consider it on a car.  Have the thing simply stop on you while you drive (assuming it is in the ignition as well as the starter circuit)?  No thanks.

A conventional immobiliser with radio remote would/should be sufficient.  Basically all your asking for is a conventional immobiliser with the trigger simply being RFID anyway.  You'd definitely be better off buying a real immobilise and stitching your RFID receiver onto it (in place of the usual radio remote) than trying to build the immobiliser yourself anyway.

• 2 months later...