SAU Community

R32 GT-R Single turbo - Protect wiring harness

Hi,

For the guys that are running single turbos on their cars(whether R's or Non), how do you protect the wiring harness on the passengers side by the turbo?

I have a 9180 which a 4 inch dump, which I will get ceramic coated(exhaust/housing/dump) going in soon. I will be sticking the gold reflective tape on my exhaust side plus on the firewall anyway, but the poor wiring will get burnt to a crisp in no time... Also, will boil the brake fluid with the ABS controller inches away(That's another problem).

All I can see are 2 options:

a) Re-route the loom under the fender(Can you already by extended looms? Wiringspecialties dont sell one)
b) Heat shielding(Reflective tapes + metal surrounds and heat sleeves all around the harness.

Thanks.

Re routed over the strut tower after melting it the first time...

Also for longer term keeping heat out of the tower/ABS area, good quality wrap on the dump and also a good turbo beanie. That made a huge difference to secondary underbonnet temps i found.

Those fireproof sleeves are pretty bloody good.  If you can get any other more primary heat shield in there (even just the coating) it should be survivable.  If you want to exercise paranoia, you could slip a thermocouple in there with the loom at the likely hottest spot and see what it gets up to.  If you're comfortable, then leave it like that.  If not comfortable, then you plan to reroute the loom.

Tidiest and most reliable solution is to re-route outside the engine bay.  Get it right away from the heat source.

It's one of those mysteries why the factory routed outside on the right hand, and kept it inside on the left hand side.

Unplug the harness from the big 2 connectors near washer bottle and feed it inside your guard 

yes it fits as I have done mine and my mates cars far more cleaner, uncluttered and protects it from the heat

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 11:13 PM, SiR_RB said:

Unplug the harness from the big 2 connectors near washer bottle and feed it inside your guard 

yes it fits as I have done mine and my mates cars far more cleaner, uncluttered and protects it from the heat

Which connectors sorry? Please indicate as per pics on this link(Found some reference pics on GTRUK) - https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/175254-engine-bay-wiring-loom-run.html

Thank you!