SAU Community

towing a datsun with stagea m35

darksould43

was wondering in the stagea would be capable of towing a old 521 datsun ute, total weight would be about 1600-1700kg inlcuding a trailer, with hills, because new zealand, these are a couple photos of the tow bar and mount, the mounts go either side of the spare wheel to the rails, asking as the rating sticker has been faded but at a guess it would be only 1200kg from what i have read on here

55957808_348464929209644_4394163774769070080_n.jpg

56398397_440365256524713_1221720541317038080_n.jpg

56618801_367507387190466_3276571541562720256_n.jpg

Edited by darksould43

39 minutes ago, Duncan said:

impossible to tell without pics of the ute as well (OK, I just like old dattos :))

That's the old girl, 521 datsun, project and cheap, sitting on a 720 chassis, hoping to get it this weekend if I can tow it haha

Screenshot_20190402-220901_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1

Any brakes on the trailer? I haven't had a look under the back of an M35 but from other posts it seems you need to be very careful to reinforce places where you bolt the tow bar up. I would take the risk,   driving very carefully,  but be aware of the potential weakness.

6 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Any brakes on the trailer? I haven't had a look under the back of an M35 but from other posts it seems you need to be very careful to reinforce places where you bolt the tow bar up. I would take the risk,   driving very carefully,  but be aware of the potential weakness.

Yes trailer brakes 

10 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Exactly what I would do too, assuming its's also not too far (or if it is, regular stop and looks). But I'm no engineer or NZ road law expert

6 hours ago, Duncan said:

Exactly what I would do too, assuming its's also not too far (or if it is, regular stop and looks). But I'm no engineer or NZ road law expert

It is a distance, close to 4 hours, 300 km, couple hills, and I would stop every now and then to let it cool down 

It's no so much the cooling down as it is the brakes, the strength of the chassis (which will stretch if pulling more load than it can handle, especially uphill).

Just rolling along for hundreds of km at a steady speed won't cause any grief at all, except with the coppers if they decide you look like you belong on Highway Patrol.

30 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

It's no so much the cooling down as it is the brakes, the strength of the chassis (which will stretch if pulling more load than it can handle, especially uphill).

Just rolling along for hundreds of km at a steady speed won't cause any grief at all, except with the coppers if they decide you look like you belong on Highway Patrol.

well ill keep that in mind, there maybe routes to take without hills, thought the hills arent massive ones either

• 2 months later...

IMG_1323.jpg i know I’m a little late. But I towed this with mine. It was only on the flat and the Hilux didn’t have a motor or gearbox. But I often tow my Suzuki 4WD around the South Island