SAU Community

Methanol

Hi guys

i know this question has been asked but wanted some assurance before buying it and pick your brain

tuner told me the car is loosing around 20-30 bhp when hot so my plan was to get water injection to cool it without futher tune

i did and fully installed. It is the aem and recommand 50-50 water and methonal mix

i know wwater won’t burn and it will only cool the temp and do know meth burns but has a very high octane

i also know if you inject too much water you can get hyro lock or have a very rich mixture casuing engine damage

injector is progressive with start psi to full psi

my question is , could i set it so it injects water/ meth to cool intake without needing a retune?

my max boost is around 17 psi and i plan to set it so it comes on at 8 psi and progressively injects more as it gets close to 17 psi.

re water, would you put mineral water or tap water. Most people say de ironised but does it matter if i put tab water in?

re methonal, i know it is a cheminal and googling comes up with hundrands of them from 95% pure and above. Is there a specific meth i need to get or whatever?

in cold season can you put antifreeze to stop it freezing?

Methanol like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Methanol-Virgin-Grade-99-5-for-Biodiesel-Racing-Fuel-Fuel-Cells-2-X-5-L/123336905100?hash=item1cb773d18c:g:FzEAAOSwzU1bhQxa

Your tuner sounds weird. Your car is losing power when hot? So you put your car on the dyno and it makes X bhp and when it warms up it makes x -30 bhp? Is he saying it is overheating?

Water/methanol injection is a whole other subject but no you won't need anti-freeze. Methanol is an effective anti-freeze....

1 minute ago, drifter17a said:

He said it is getting hot on intercooler and it is making changes to produce less power...

It is easy for intercoolers to heat soak on dynos but maybe you need a better intercooler.

You don't need WMI for what you problem is.  It sounds like your turbo is making the air waaaaay hotter than it should. You should first investigate what the hot side air temp is under load.

WMI is a bandaid in this situation.  You'd be better off finding out what is actually wrong and dealing with it.  That might mean a different tuner, because this guy's clearly not able to punch through the evidence to the source.

And, to answer your specific questions.....yes, demin water is required because tap water has salts in it that dry and deposit when it evaporates.  If you think about the process you are using the water for, I think it will become obvious why that is important.  And methanol is methanol.  Any industrial grade near pure methanol will be fine, so long as the balance of the mix is not something bad, like formaldehyde.  If it is 95% meth and balance water......

Well tuner has locked the map so not much choice as i have to pay a full fee for someone else to remap

it is not connected yet but i noticed it had finished one gallon on my way back ( pipe is in engine bay under filter) until i weld a bung

seeing that and also the fact that methonal is dangerous to store, i am thinking of using water only with no meth to keep it cool

Well i was thinking of mixing it with water and store but currently not living in house so will be stored in bathroom and feel a bit uneasy on it

if you mix methanol with water, does it loose its burning quality or ignite as quickly

for instance fuel doesn’t mix with water but not sure if this is the case for methanol 

26 minutes ago, drifter17a said:

Well i was thinking of mixing it with water and store but currently not living in house so will be stored in bathroom and feel a bit uneasy on it

if you mix methanol with water, does it loose its burning quality or ignite as quickly

for instance fuel doesn’t mix with water but not sure if this is the case for methanol 

There another reason to no do it.

50 50 methabol and water doesn't burn and yes it does mix, how the hell would everyone be mixing it if it didn't mix?

4 hours ago, drifter17a said:

Well tuner has locked the map so not much choice as i have to pay a full fee for someone else to remap

it is not connected yet but i noticed it had finished one gallon on my way back ( pipe is in engine bay under filter) until i weld a bung 

seeing that and also the fact that methonal is dangerous to store, i am thinking of using water only with no meth to keep it cool

So you already have it?

14 hours ago, drifter17a said:

yes have it and installed. taking it to a shop to weld the bung so can insert the nozzle into intake 

as it stands it is hanging in engine bay safely !

so 50 50 water meth does not burn ? What is the point of adding it then ?

You also don't need to weld a bung. The stock crossover pipe is plenty thich enough to drill and tap.

Also I don't really put much faith in a progressive controller based on boost. You can be at full boost low revs and get full flow, it really needs to be mapped to the actual engine demand (injector duty cycle) for progressive to be worthwhile. Even then there are issues.

You need a tune by the way

I'm at the point now of wanting to egg Drifter on.  I really think that an un-planned, non-understood WMI implementation running at full stink with no tune is going to add wonderfully to the catch-can oil loss problems in a delightful way. I'm just sad that being on the opposite side of the world, we shall likely be unable to see the resulting mushroom cloud.

• Like 3

Actually the car runs really good and link ecu is mapped so when temp is high then boost is dropped

when temp is around 25 degree the boost goes to maximum of 15.5 psi

now temp is around 16 degree and boost at 17 psi. Water only

Aem says the injector has to be above the tank so gravity won’t pull

that is my difficulty now as i want the injection to be right after intercooler so temp is dropped by the time it is at air temp sensor but that is presenting a problem as it is lower than the tank so testing this gravity pulls water even when off

this is when the pipe is off the injector and hanging but as soon as it is inserted , it does not seem to leak. I have filled the tank to the lip and not a single drop when plugged in

i can only assume because there is a nozzle and it is small, it is cancelling the gravity or water can’t flow same as when it is unplugged

my question is , is there a valve or something that opens under pressure so i can insert it meaning gravity can’t pull water and once the pump injects that is only when it opens?

here is a pic of the nozzle 

https://h-tune.co.uk/aem-v2-water-methanol-nozzle-and-jet-kit/?currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlrCiwKrL4QIVLrXtCh3X_QPuEAQYAiABEgJmS_D_BwE

am i correct thinking it is check valve?

Edited by drifter17a

That's completely ridiculous boost limiting strategy based on those inlet temps. The tuner sounds special.

Also, the best thing is a solenoid valve, the next best is a check valve. This isn't rocket surgery.