SAU Community

RB25DET NEO Overheats after about 10mins

1 minute ago, admS15 said:

Was going to offer to give you a hand but being 2 states away in Melbourne makes that impossible.

Thanks yeah bit of a hike.

I have done one flush recently maybe I should try another, and squeeze some coolant hoses.

On 4/14/2019 at 11:00 AM, QLDR31 said:

I did a 25min radiator flush yesterday. Just idling away.

I didn't think the heater got very hot.

Some white smoke out the back.

I'm sorry to say mate, that definitely sounds like its done a head gasket. If it was water vapor coming out the exhaust on start up thats normal, but if its blowing white steam/smoke under load then its done a head gasket. 

Not to fear though, doing head gaskets on rbs is extremely easy just a bit time consuming. Order a OEM headgasket and get the head decked at a machine shop.

i

1 hour ago, Blakeo said:

I'm sorry to say mate, that definitely sounds like its done a head gasket. If it was water vapor coming out the exhaust on start up thats normal, but if its blowing white steam/smoke under load then its done a head gasket. 

Not to fear though, doing head gaskets on rbs is extremely easy just a bit time consuming. Order a OEM headgasket and get the head decked at a machine shop.

Thanks

I wonder if I should get the engine rebuilt? Or just patch it up and get it back on the road.

Timing belt is due.

It has 245k on the clock.

Water pump got done about 100k back, with the last timing belt.

I think everything else is original.

I think there might be an issue with the turbo as well.

I thought taking the head off had issues with exhaust studs breaking etc.

19 hours ago, QLDR31 said:

i

Thanks

I wonder if I should get the engine rebuilt? Or just patch it up and get it back on the road.

Timing belt is due.

It has 245k on the clock.

Water pump got done about 100k back, with the last timing belt.

I think everything else is original.

I think there might be an issue with the turbo as well.

I thought taking the head off had issues with exhaust studs breaking etc.

It really comes down if you have money and the time. If you do, would definitely be worth while rebuilding it and doing it properly. 

You can get the turbo rebuilt by Hypergear, get it high flowed as its around the same money so you can push more power if you wish. 

I snapped a couple of the exhaust studs when I took mine off, you can just leave the exhaust manifold on if you wish but it's not a big deal. I could get vice grips on the snapped off ones and with crc they came out. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I took it to a local place to get fixed.

It turned out it was the head gasket. The head itself and the turbo checked out ok.

Unfortunately the block is also pitted badly. The previous owner patched it up which lasted 160K.

A new head gasket and the work to dismantle it and put it back together was going to cost $2K. I thought that was ok.

Now with the extra work of fixing the block they want $6K. So this is re-using original components. Not a rebuild. Apparently the block can be machined with the rotating assembly fitted. I think $6k is a bit rich.

It is an AWD,

What you guys think?

6 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Look for another engine

I considered that.

Anyone know if AWD and RWD blocks are interchangeable? Id guess not.

I found a place that will rebuild the long engine for $4.5k. Which would come with a warranty. Id have to get my hands dirty removing it and installing it. I'm thinking of going down that path.