SAU Community

FFP R33 Skyline

I can't decide if I should go FFP on my R33 Skyline. Ideally I want the Plazmaman top plenum replacement one. But I can't justify spending this much money on just a manifold. I was considering the FREDDY manifold, acknowledging I'd need to deck face which sits against head and remachine a water coolant neck. Is it worth the $700 saving? I can do the machine work myself so I wouldn't associate this as a cost. Is it true that the freddy/greddy manifolds cause cylinder 6 to run lean?

I will not buy an Otaku/pro flow manifold, I have seen countless issue with those from the bad welds. Is there any other manifolds I should look into buying? Would running oem throttle body give any issue with the Plazmaman manifold and to anyone who has bought it was it worth the $1000?

Thank you.

Def OEM throttle body will be fine - so will OEM manifold.

Have you already got a big turbo, injectors, FMIC, exhaust, aftermarket ecu? These all help to make the car go faster. A FFP will not.

• Like 1

I recently purchased a R33 with a "FREDDY" FFP already installed. While the car already makes decent power with other power supporting mods, it wouldn't be my first manifold choice if I was doing the build my own way. 

I love the RB26 plenum and I think if I end up changing my current setup I'll be looking at doing this conversion with the RB26 adaptor plate. I'm just waiting for VCT solenoid relocation kits to be released from Otaku Garage which look somewhat promising.

On the other hand, my fiancé's  R34 makes close to 350kw using a stock intake manifold on her setup. Current limiting factor at this stage is her Blitz return flow intercooler. 

Unfortunately I can not stay OEM manifold, as the top plenum of the OEM manifold has cracked. This was as a result of a workshop who won't admit liability even though it happened on their premises. 

Plazmaman would be my choice everyday, but I do not have a lot of money.. But I can squeeze if its really better than the freddy.

Plazmaman is about $1700, genuine Greddy $1300 or more, Freddy about $300 or OEM replacement from wreckers under $100. I doubt you would feel the difference between any of them.

Are your lower runners okay? If so, I'd go the plazzy. Pretty decently priced at under $1k.

https://plazmaman.com/product/rb25-r33-inlet-plenum/

I've had a FREDDY & PLAZZY plenum and if I had my time again I'd never go the freddy/greddy style. The plazzy is just so simple, it bolts on and by using 1/2 of the stock plenum, the job's 1/2 done - more time for beers.

Forgot to add as I didn't see it in your original post. Re using the stock throttlebody with the Plazmaman, mine still has the stock one and has done for the last 6 years or so. No dramas at all and well worth the sub $1k.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:17 AM, r33cruiser said:

Forgot to add as I didn't see it in your original post. Re using the stock throttlebody with the Plazmaman, mine still has the stock one and has done for the last 6 years or so. No dramas at all and well worth the sub $1k.

Seems the Plazmaman is the one to go for, yep bottom plenum is fine the workshop who dropped the engine crane on the manifold has now offered to pay for a new second hand one but I will use the money to go towards the Plazmaman FFP. 

• 2 months later...
Seems the Plazmaman is the one to go for, yep bottom plenum is fine the workshop who dropped the engine crane on the manifold has now offered to pay for a new second hand one but I will use the money to go towards the Plazmaman FFP. 

Did you end up doing this?

22 hours ago, RBW49N said:

Did you end up doing this?

Yes, I ordered the plenum took about 4-5 weeks to arrive. Have to say I am quite impressed with the quality of the workmanship definitely worth the money in my opinion. Everything fit perfectly, didn't even have to modify throttle cable. 

The only let down I've had is waiting on my turbo manifold to arrive and need to get intercooler pipe work finished off.

• Like 1