SAU Community

Speed restricted card from 2023? What do you think?

The problem will not be hacking the system to defeat it but doing it in a way that is not detectable...
I'm not sure I can see them checking the system to ensure it hasn't been tampered with. Or even if they do, surely there'll be systems like chip tunes that have a handset where you can revert to stock.

The problem with interfering with the system will be the consequences should the car be in an accident. I'm dead sure that the black box will become one of the things that the crash investigators and insurance companies will want to interrogate.  You can bet your arse that your arse will be on the line should it be found to be bypassed.  Memory is cheap these days, so they could theoretically log everything for the entire life of the car, not just the last couple of days.

I realise that this is Oz, and not the good ol' US of A, but this is yet another serious impingement upon civil liberties.  It is bullshit.  Arbitrary speed limits are bad enough, but rigorously enforcing them to the point of clamping vehicle speed is the worst sort of nanny state crap.  Where the hell is personal responsibility, etc etc, blah blah?  So long as the car is under my control, it should be under my control. The only acceptable alternative is for no-one to have any control over their cars. They just all join into a central computer controlled conga line when driving out onto the roads and let Skynet look after us.  Up until it gets hacked and we all die at the same time, anyway.

The person who wrote this article has assumed an awful lot about the implementation of the system. Not to mention the uptake on these vehicle. Why would you bother to own a beige-mobile if you can pay a subscription to a car service and just use someone else's. 

"Major cities around the world will also eventually ban internal-combustion engine vehicles from entering built-up areas."" The end is nigh."
Mmmm, ok then. I get that there's taxes and pay walls here but banning them outright hasn't yet been planned for any Australian city.

"Firstly, there will likely be ‘low volume’ exceptions to these rules, so small supercar and sports car makers may thrive."
I don't believe this line for one second. A $25 dollar box and $46 worth of coding isn't going to be an issue is you're paying half a million dollars. 

"No doubt the price of those cars will go through the roof (start buying)."
There's so many sports cars, that I just don't think this will be the case across the board, yes, specific models (GTRs, RZ supras) will rise in price, but equally there'll models worth exactly one six pack of VB or bottle of chardonnay (depends on who you're buying/trading from).

"Track days will become far more frequent, car meets will get bigger and bigger. There will likely be significantly less road policing due to the majority of the cars self-policing (not that we would want that, of course)."
I don't think this is accurate either. Car meets aren't getting bigger, in fact, I feel that they're smaller than ever.

"But unlike the built-in ISA, that retrofitted system will be impossible to truly police, and where there is a will, there is a way."
This is a point I actually do agree with, any retrofitted system will be vulnerable to "interference/modification/breakage". I guess the real question (as noted above) is what is the consequence of the GPS tracker/controller not being operational? 

I'd rather see autonomous driving be established before this type of "autonomy". Anyway my two cents (or more if you like).

• Like 1

"Major cities around the world will also eventually ban internal-combustion engine vehicles from entering built-up areas."" The end is nigh."
Mmmm, ok then. I get that there's taxes and pay walls here but banning them outright hasn't yet been planned for any Australian city.

I think you will find that Clover “we don’t want you any” Moore has effectively done this by putting bike lanes and a stupid useless waste of money light rail down the main road. She cannot ban cars but has worked around that by making it painful to go there with one.

• 4 weeks later...

With a 50% target for electric cars coming in the next few years.....our dinosaur juice cars will all fade into obscurity.  I think I will see it in my lifetime tbh.  And there has been talk of GPS monitoring of vehicles for ages, big trucking companies already do it, so speed monitoring of an employee is real and now.  So its only really another stepping stone to actually limit speed.

But with electric cars and driverless cars, I can see us driving to another big town by having dinner, watching TV, having a shower, getting dressed in the PJ's, wandering out to the car, at 11pm, getting in and dialling in your destination, and going to sleep.  Then you wake up the next morning 700km away [hopefully at your destination lol]. 

How about we just get driverless Winnebagos and can then shower/live on the road.
All those retirement road trips could be done in half the time?

Imagine sleeping in your car and then a kangaroo jumps in front and all the f**king auto braking + lane changing kicks in, sending you flying through the windscreen.

• Like 3