SAU Community

Issues with radio reception.

Jonsio

I have a 2001VW Passat. Last year I changed the original head unit and replaced with a Sony head unit. 

On the original head unit I got good reception on both FM and AM frequencies. 

When I changed the head unit I noticed on AM the reception was almost non existent. I don’t listen to AM very much so I had no issue with it. Recently two FM radio stations (triple m and gold 104) have started to get poor reception while all other stations are fine. 

I have checked connection at the back of head unit and replaced the plug that connects the antenna cable into the head unit as it was a little loose. No help. 

I bought a $25 screw in antenna from supercheap to see if that made a difference thinking maybe faulty antenna. It was actually much much worse with the new screw in antenna and pretty much lost all reception. 

Has anyone else had this issue? Could it be faulty head unit? Any advice would be appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Check your grounds on the head unit wiring and clean up the antnenna connections as well.

Potentially your antenna connection is simple coming loose from the head unit.

RF shorts could also be your problem. Any antenna cable that has been crushed or turned beyond the bend radius (ie 180 degrees), will no longer work correctly.

As the old saying goes, one will rise abruptly based on its accumulated strength. In 2016, the PCB industry in China has made the best achievement among the overall global PCB industry with not only the largest scale but also good economic efficiency, and the overall industry chain is making fundamental changes. As long as grasping the opportunity of industrial upgrading well, in the future, China’s PCB industry is certain to enjoy a stable and rapid development and actively expand the market under the driving force of the overall industry.
This is a terrible reponse to a genuine question. Are you spruking PA chipsets or FM transceivers? No?... maybe keep it to yourself next time.

34 minutes ago, Steve85 said:
4 hours ago, charlotte1 said:
As the old saying goes, one will rise abruptly based on its accumulated strength. In 2016, the PCB industry in China has made the best achievement among the overall global PCB industry with not only the largest scale but also good economic efficiency, and the overall industry chain is making fundamental changes. As long as grasping the opportunity of industrial upgrading well, in the future, China’s PCB industry is certain to enjoy a stable and rapid development and actively expand the market under the driving force of the overall industry.

This is a terrible reponse to a genuine question. Are you spruking PA chipsets or FM transceivers? No?... maybe keep it to yourself next time.

'twas spam of the best sort.