SAU Community

R33 RB20e to RB25DET Conversion

Hello,

my name is Flo and im from Austria (Europe)

I just bought a Skyline R33 sadly with the RB20e and Automatic Trans ^^

Its from 1996 and is a Series 2 R33

The Car itself is in really good condition and has no rust at all ?

i traded my car for this R33 so it was a deal i had to do and there are very few skylines avaiable in Austria and they are also really expensive and if we import a skyline from another country in the EU or even from Japan it would cost even more due to the expensive costs to register the car (a few thousand € just for the registration itself...)

So please no comments to sell the car and buy a Gtst cause thats really no Option due to the costs..

i already owned a r33 gtst a few years ago sadly i sold it that was a big mistake past then...

So i already managed to get an RB25DET S1 Engine including Harness and also a RB25DET Manual Transmission for a good price.

But i really cant find much information about the other Parts i need.

Does anybody knew if i need the Gtst Diff and Axels or will it work with the actual Differential axle?

what i think i really need is the r33 gtst driveshaft/propshaft but can it he linked to my current diff?

and about the Transmission Swap what would i need to do this?

i was thinking about the pedals from a manual car and also the master/sleeve and the lines to the transmission but is there anything else needed?

does anybody know if i can use the current speedometer or do i need the speedo from the manual car?

sry for asking that much but i really cant find the information i need ?

im happy for every information that brings me further to my goal ?

Thanks alot!!!

Regards Flo

There would have to be thousands of pages of information on the net about doing this.  Not with your exact car specifically, because those turds only ever got imported into Australia by accident.  Most people have never seen one.  I have.  Lifted the bonnet, looked at the engine, sighed, and walked away.

But, spoonfeeding mode on......

4 hours ago, FloKastl said:

Does anybody knew if i need the Gtst Diff and Axels or will it work with the actual Differential axle?

Your stock diff is probably physically strong enough (provided that it is an R200 and not an R180) to take stock RB25DET power.  But it will be an open diff, which means it will suck testicles and spin one wheel freely.  Plan to replace it.

Your stock diff and axles are 6 bolt (3x2).  These are slightly weaker than the turbo's 5 bolters, but will be fine.  I'm using 3x2s in my R32 with neo turbo.  But if you change to a different diff, you may end up needing 5 bolt stub axles and driveshafts.

5 hours ago, FloKastl said:

what i think i really need is the r33 gtst driveshaft/propshaft but can it he linked to my current diff?

Turbo tailshaft will fit diff.  At the very least you will need the front yoke of the turbo tailshaft and you could get a driveshaft workshop/manufacturer to modify by cut and shut.

and about the Transmission Swap what would i need to do this?

Yes, absolutely.  The little auto gearbox in your car will not last long behind a 25DET.  Go manual or go home.

i was thinking about the pedals from a manual car and also the master/sleeve and the lines to the transmission but is there anything else needed?

Transmission crossmember, wiring loom for the RHS side of the engine bay down to the gearbox.

does anybody know if i can use the current speedometer or do i need the speedo from the manual car?

Don't know for sure.  I care so little for R33s, and no-one cares about the RB20DE autos, that I have no idea where to look for the information you need.  There is an even chance that the speedo will be compatible - all you would need is the correct sender in the gearbox.  But there is also a chance that they were mechanical drive...in which case there is plenty of information on how to do the conversion (for R32s specifically).

• Thanks 1

Thanks alot for your answers ?

yes its definitely sure that i make a manual conversion i picked up the rb25det s1 engine, a rb25det manual transmission and also complete wiring.

that i will end up changing diff and everything else needed is for sure but at the moment it would be nice if it works out with the stock diff until i find a good uses gtst diff in europe to change.

sadly i have to search parts part by part that will cost some time and its hard to find parts here in Austria/Germany (:

im glad that i already have the engine trans and wiring and ecu ^^

so if i understand it correctly can i fit the r33 gtst driveshsft into my car eith the rb25det manual trans and the actual diff or do i have to modify the driveshaft.

if so i dont know if i can fit the engine until i have all gtst parts cos i dont know any shop that modifies driveshafts here in Austria indondt even heard that such a company is existing here ^^

for the manual trans swap i need tk know what i need.

i have the trans and slave cylinder 

i need the master cylinder and the pedal for clutch and brake from a manual car - anything else for the trans swap itself?

thanks alot for your help ?

regards Flo

On 4/15/2019 at 4:22 AM, FloKastl said:

so if i understand it correctly can i fit the r33 gtst driveshsft into my car eith the rb25det manual trans and the actual diff or do i have to modify the driveshaft.

If you can get the right tailshaft, then it will fit without modification.

Cut and shut of various tailshafts to make something fit is only required if you can;t get exactly what you want. It is standard practice here in Australia.  When asked where to go here, I just say "Hardy Spicer".  I am dead certain there would be equivalent places in Austria.

I told you what other parts you need for the manual swap.  The gearbox crossmember and the wiring loom. (and a flywheel and clutch if you don't get them with the engine/box).

Edited by GTSBoy

yes but i dont know yet if the r33 gtst driveshaft will fit without modification thats what i dont know yet?

if i use rb25det and rb25det manual transmission will the oem r33 driveshaft fit straight in with my current differential thats what i have to figure out cause i can buy a oem driveshaft from the r33 gtst - i found a guy that sells it on Austria.

Regards

WOW

that was a really helpful answer thanks

why im asking here on the forum if i can find it out myself by just put in the engine and trans i must be really stupid...

maybe i dont want to buy parts i cant use..

or maybe i ask here in hope someone knows the answer to my question?

maybe you can buy a skyline with the same engine and find it out for me that would be helpful for me but useless for you just like your answer ?

sry but i cant stand answers like yours its the same in every forum...

why isnt it possible that only people write in topics when they have helpful Information?

FFS.  If it has an R200 diff in it then the GTST tailshaft will definitely fit, exactly as I have told you twice already.

As to "why should I ask on a forum when I could just go find out myself?"........ ahh, if only people would.

ok thanks @GTSBoy thats an answer i can use ?

sry maybe its causey english isnt perfect maybe i misunderstood Our last posts regarding the driveshaft.

so i check if i have the r200 diff as soon as possible 

At the moment im busy cause my car lift is used for a s14 from a friend of mine that i have to repair alot of rust damage + some power mods (sr20det).

and at the same time i rebuild a vq35de for my 350Z that has a spun ros bearing and theres also an wrx engine waiting for rebuild and some customer cars waiting for service thats why i cant  work on the skyline at the moment - thats why i cant just put in the engine/trans and check myself if something fits at the moment cause i need my car lift daily..

thats why im asking here so in the best case i can buy all the parts i need before i begin the engine/trans swap to make the swap as fast as possible.

Thanks for your Answer ?

Regards Flo