SAU Community

R32 GTR bare shell rebuild / restoration

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to broke to do anything to the GTR the last few weeks hence the lack of updates, but finally getting a few items picked up this weekend hopefully.

I am currently looking into how I am going to restore the bolts and nuts, brackets etc used around the whole car, namely suspension at this stage.

My plan of attack is currently to purchase a vibratory tumbler and zinc plating setup. I also have access to a small sand blaster for items that won't fit within the tumbler.

Vibratory Tumblers, also known as case tumblers are available at gun shops so will pick one up in town for $95 in the coming weeks. Much like the one below on ebay.

At this stage I believe a walnut media will be suitable for getting the right finish on the hardware. If anyone has experience with tumbling bolts etc some advice would be sweet.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Max-clean-3-5l-Electronic-Brass-Case-Tumbler-Reloading-Media-Cleaning-Case-Clean/183475533028?epid=22026939511&hash=item2ab7fe74e4:g:Df8AAOSwZw1buslt

https://www.caswellplating.com.au/store/store.php/products/copy-cad-or-zinc-plating-kit-6-litre

Once zinc plating is completed, I am thinking that using a black chromate on them will be an awesome final touch.

https://www.caswellplating.com.au/store/store.php/products/black-chromate-concentrate

an example of a zinc then chromated bolt is attached. Much better than painting.

Hopefully on monday I will pick up the front rolling gear. I would start stripping this straight away to prepare for resto but I actually need to take the car to a fabrication workshop in the next month or so for some work to get done on the frame rails (classic dented in 32 things i'm sure you are all aware of haha). 

So unfortunately I will be putting the front subframe, suspension etc in the car at this stage. I will also be putting in the rear subframe out of the red gtst just so it rolls and can get on the trailer to go to the workshop. 

Also picking up something for the eventual engine tomorrow, 10 hr drive ahead of me.

chromate.jpg

Edited by Tenny

Alrighty, so this weekend was mega expensive and im feeling it haha.

Ended up taking a 10 hr round trip to bundaberg to pick up some 26 covers. Was a decent price so can't complain. 

Then yesterday i went to jdm autoparts in brissy to get: 

Front subframe, body loom, attessa ecu, attessa res, subframe mounting bracket thingies, speedo cable, etc.

Then, last night i decided to order a brand new front lip off justjap because nismo heritage has more than doubled the price. RIP. Justjap had some for $600.

Also thought id order the front bar and indicators from kudos which is another $900.

Will get those in the next few weeks but will be storing for a long time yet ha.

Next on the agenga will be to get the car rolling so its ready to go to brissy for some work on the rails.

20190505_111153.jpg

20190505_111608.jpg

20190505_111623.jpg

20190505_111835.jpg

20190505_112029.jpg

20190505_112118.jpg

20190505_112139.jpg

20190505_112209.jpg

20 minutes ago, Robzilla32 said:
26 minutes ago, jmknights93 said:
The front lip price jump is very annoying and shame on Nissan for doing that... They've been available for years...

Tell me about it. The price on Kudos has doubled.

got on my nerves a little bit. Totally a cash grab. hence Im getting the front bar..before it goes up too.

11 hours ago, Tenny said:

got on my nerves a little bit. Totally a cash grab. hence Im getting the front bar..before it goes up too.

The "N1" bar totally not worth the extra coin considering the vent holes look as though they've been cut by a 5 year old with a die grinder. I've attached a great reference image that I found on the forum a few years ago in case you were going that route?

486253328_N1VentAlingment(9).thumb.jpg.0cc7c9cab2e9629667228fac0444e7e2.jpg

2 hours ago, jmknights93 said:

The "N1" bar totally not worth the extra coin considering the vent holes look as though they've been cut by a 5 year old with a die grinder. I've attached a great reference image that I found on the forum a few years ago in case you were going that route?

486253328_N1VentAlingment(9).thumb.jpg.0cc7c9cab2e9629667228fac0444e7e2.jpg

Yeah, not getting the N1 bar, just normal GTR. My gtst has a genuine N1 bar on it which I bought brand new in 2015 - $250 haha. I also have a genuine N1 reo i bought at the same time for $250 thru nissan as well.

If I can't find a 32 gtr front reo for a decent price, I may steal the N1 from my gtst. The normal GTR bar will fit fine on that.

• Like 1

Going price for front reo bar used at the moment is around $700 - $1000, USED !!!! That was everywhere I've checked as I was after one, but fk that ! Good pic of the N1 cutouts too, just about to do it myself.

• Like 1

You can get a brand new r33 one for 580 and is same as a 32 n1 reo apart from where the mounting holes are drilled, with a bit of measuring can easily be redrilled to fit 

2 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

You can get a brand new r33 one for 580 and is same as a 32 n1 reo apart from where the mounting holes are drilled, with a bit of measuring can easily be redrilled to fit 

Did see that. pretty cool trick.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:31 PM, jmknights93 said:

The front lip price jump is very annoying and shame on Nissan for doing that... They've been available for years...

You want to see the price for freighting the damn thing to WA.

36 minutes ago, djr81 said:

You want to see the price for freighting the damn thing to WA.

Just jap was $15 to ship from Sydney to Toowoomba..

Edited by Tenny

16 hours ago, Tenny said:

Just jap was $15 to ship from Sydney to Toowoomba..

Ah well that has changed significantly.  I had another look and the freight is now down to less than $100.  So I guess what Iw ould have paid in freight now goes on the part.

Did you get enough bolts with the lip to attach it or just a handful or do you have to order them separate?

13 minutes ago, djr81 said:

Ah well that has changed significantly.  I had another look and the freight is now down to less than $100.  So I guess what Iw ould have paid in freight now goes on the part.

Did you get enough bolts with the lip to attach it or just a handful or do you have to order them separate?

Not too sure didn't have a proper look. But id say it would be enough to mount it properly. It just came with the lip i didn't order anything separately.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the front bar this weekend.

Have been spending time trying to buckle up my r31 to get ready for sale this last week so not much progress on the gtr unfortunately. 

20190519_162342.jpg

20190519_162356.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got around to picking up rear subframe and put them both in this arvo so it will roll on the trailer for rail / sandblast work.

Its still a shelf at the moment unfortunately but hope to get some pallet racking or similar soon to make better use of the area. About to lose over half my shed to new home owners :(

Does anyone bave reccomendstions for a good vlaster in brissy / seqld area that can do the engine bay, boot floor and window trims etc?

20190601_161445.jpg

20190601_135807.jpg

20190601_161537.jpg

• 2 months later...

Don't have much of an update unfortunately.

In the process of buying a house so time and money has been elsewhere recently. I have sold all my other cars (green r32 and r31) so i only have the gtr to focus on now once im setup in the new place. 

Renovations are needed at the house too so im sure this will slow down even more unfortunately :(

Thought i might chuck up a few photos just to show that nothing has changed ?

20190818_195215.jpg

20190818_195648.jpg

20190818_203727.jpg