SAU Community

R33 gtr gearbox upgrades?

Hello ive been searching alot for a uprated R33 gtr gearbox or a rebuild kit with stronger 1-4 gears (close ratio) 

I cant make my mind at all on what route im gonna take.

First OS giken = 12 months delivery is way to much for me right now, but the price and quality on OS giken one is the perfect match for me, 

2nd R34 GTR gearbox + swapkit, anyone know if any companies source those? 

3rd  PPG 1-4 close ratio, 3 times as expensive vs OS giken ones? why? with work and stuff this kit is kinda close a OS giken / Quaife Sequential gearbox...

4th the Speedtek close ratio? seen a thread thats 2 years old that dident look so promising, anyone else running this with sucess?

Ok dude, are you in Australia ? What's the car used for ? How much power do you have? Why do you want or need a different box ? Are you looking for dog or synchro ? Are you wanting to change "just because" or have you broken it ? Answer these first.

1 - An OS Giken is not 12 month wait for gearset or OS-88 sequential.

2 - Getrag is a very costly option and not worth it in my opinion unless you want stupid short ratios.

3 - PPG is good and get what you pay for. Are you referencing 5 speed h pattern helical synchro, helical dog, straight cut dog or 6 speed helical sequential dog ?

4 - Speedtek, ha ! Brave person to buy that heap of shit. Steer clear ( check the forum why )

5 - Considered PAR ? They do not suck anymore (sales is a bit shit with supply sometimes) and are very comparable to the Pfitzner gearsets in reliability now. Speak to Sam at Neat Gearboxes in Adelaide regarding this option, as he quite familiar with them and speaks very highly of them. (he does isotropically super finish and shot peen all of the gearsets, shafts and selectors if optioned to for extra strength before assembly though, even PPG and Giken is recommended to do this.)

Oh and forgot possible option 6, get a Holinger for $28.5k.

9 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Quaife offer a six speed sequential with a choice of ratios and gear types:

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/nissan-skyline-gtr-6-speed-sequential-gearbox

and are also apparently not very good for an over $20k box according to the UK guys.

For more info Tim at Special Vehicle Services in the UK is actually how you obtain one, not through Quaife as they don't deal direct. Looked into it myself. For sequentials you will find more people in the UK with a GTR running a Holinger or OS Giken than a Quaife ( what does that tell you ?) OS giken or the Aussie stuff is where it's at if you live in Australia.

From a local source I was warned "Quaife, good diffs, junk boxes"

• Like 1

Im located in Sweden (europe) 

Right now im running 707AWHP (1,6bar boost) gonna run more.

the car is used for road mostly and some 1/4 1/8 mile / street races etc.

So you know any shops that has those OS giken kits in stock?

I know the getrag got short gears but aint those close ratios gears almost same as getrag?

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:14 AM, Woojen said:

So you know any shops that has those OS giken kits in stock?

Yep Otomoto or Just Jap in Australia for the 5 speed set. For you in Sweden if you want OS Giken source from Japan, best would be either RHDJapan or Nengun. OS-88 sequentials do have a 3 month lead time though if you're thinking leaning that way.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:14 AM, Woojen said:

I know the getrag got short gears but aint those close ratios gears almost same as getrag?

Short ratio does not mean close ratio. Quaife, PPG, OS Giken 5 speeds have a really tall 1st gear compared to standard, then 2nd and 3rd are changed taller too to make 1st - 4th closer together.  Ratios are:

Standard 5 speed - 3.214, 1.925, 1.302, 1.000, 0.752
OS giken 5 speed - 2.695, 1.703, 1.236, 1.000, 0.826  (can have std 0.752 5th)

final drive 4.111

Now have a look at R34 Getrag:

3.827, 2.360, 1.685, 1.312, 1.000, 0.793
final drive 3.545

Ignoring 1st, 2nd to 6th gears it's similar ratios to a Giken 5 speed. May aswell not have the 1st in it with 4.11, so what's the point of using a Getrag 6 speed in an 32 / 33 unless you want a very short 50km/h Motorkhana gear ?

For the cost vs quality you can't really beat the OS Giken 5 speed for a synchro helical setup.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 3:37 AM, BK said:

Yep Otomoto or Just Jap in Australia for the 5 speed set. For you in Sweden if you want OS Giken source from Japan, best would be either RHDJapan or Nengun. OS-88 sequentials do have a 3 month lead time though if you're thinking leaning that way.

Short ratio does not mean close ratio. Quaife, PPG, OS Giken 5 speeds have a really tall 1st gear compared to standard, then 2nd and 3rd are changed taller too to make 1st - 4th closer together.  Ratios are:

Standard 5 speed - 3.214, 1.925, 1.302, 1.000, 0.752
OS giken 5 speed - 2.695, 1.703, 1.236, 1.000, 0.826  (can have std 0.752 5th)

final drive 4.111

Now have a look at R34 Getrag:

3.827, 2.360, 1.685, 1.312, 1.000, 0.793
final drive 3.545

Ignoring 1st, 2nd to 6th gears it's similar ratios to a Giken 5 speed. May aswell not have the 1st in it with 4.11, so what's the point of using a Getrag 6 speed in an 32 / 33 unless you want a very short 50km/h Motorkhana gear ?

For the cost vs quality you can't really beat the OS Giken 5 speed for a synchro helical setup.

The problem is i cant find ANYONE in the world with OS giken 5speed kits in stock, and its several months until they are made again?

i really wanna drive the car this year!

This guy makes stronger gear sets with different ratios but you might need a Japanese speaker to figure his site out!

http://www.ag-y.com/tuning/mission.html#ssm690

This is going back a few years:

Auto Gallery Yokohama gearsets (rebuilt boxes).

yes there are upgraded synchro boxes available. I have one in my 32. made by auto gallery yokohama (Koizumi)

it's a good box. i've used it for about 5 years with no drama.

you can do a mix of the OS box and AGY bits.

DJR81, they have their own double cone synchros. they also do various different close ratio gear sets too just like OS Giken.

they do a nice transfer case overhaul too.

ratio choice:

version 1

= ,611       
=,733         
=,289         
=,000        
=,752        

OR (standard ratios I think?):

1 3,214 
2 1,925
3 1,302 
4 1,000
5 0,752 

They have some optional 5th gear choices too:

5 0,842
5 0,826
5 0,800

version 2 close ratio box is:

1 1,903
2 1,476
3 1,186
4 1,000

You didn't try hard enough. As I order from RHD Japan constantly I checked for you re OS giken availability.

3 hours ago, Woojen said:

The problem is i cant find ANYONE in the world with OS giken 5speed kits in stock, and its several months until they are made again?

i really wanna drive the car this year!

I know it "SAYS" 4 month lead time, but their next stock is 30th of May for the OS Giken 5 speed set with input. Need to buy now to confirm. Bargain price too at around $3k !

I only just sold one myself and I paid a lot more than that for it.

There is also a used one on ebay here, complete box at $7600 with clutch.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/R32-GTR-BNR32-OS-Giken-5-Speed-Cross-Gear-set-Transmission-Triple-plate-Clutch/264266244296?hash=item3d877ee0c8:g:bdEAAOSwcgNco241

You really didn't try did you ? Jacky at CJ motor in Brisbane has 7 of them, SEVEN ! Even Just Jap is saying 10 -15 days on their site. Jeez ! They both want retail though which is around the $5k mark, or....

Brad at JDM garage also in Queensland has 2 x used OS-88 sequentials at the moment for around $15k.

18 hours ago, BK said:

You really didn't try did you ? Jacky at CJ motor in Brisbane has 7 of them, SEVEN ! Even Just Jap is saying 10 -15 days on their site. Jeez ! They both want retail though which is around the $5k mark, or....

Brad at JDM garage also in Queensland has 2 x used OS-88 sequentials at the moment for around $15k.

Ive been looking in EU mostly, since i couldent find anything there i went here.

is it any special place i can buy them that cheap now? or just from anyone thats a OS giken dealer?

Would save alot of money to buy them in europe :)

31 minutes ago, Woojen said:

Ive been looking in EU mostly, since i couldent find anything there i went here.

is it any special place i can buy them that cheap now? or just from anyone thats a OS giken dealer?

Would save alot of money to buy them in europe :)

Again, I told you where to look and you didn't. I'm trying to help you. Buying in Europe save money ?, IT IS JAPANESE ! Cheapest place is direct from Japan. Go onto RHD Japan and order one right now for $3k AUD, which is what 2000 Euros ? Trust me you are not getting it cheaper anywhere than that. They'll ship it EMS which is fast and relatively cheap.

Now go order. Go on, right now go to RHD Japan and order. Now.

Edit: Here is the link. Click on link, log in, order now, receive in June, done.

https://www.rhdjapan.com/os-giken-close-gear-kit-5-speed-nissan-rb26dett-input-shaft.html

At that price I'm considering buying one just to have one put away if I ever want to build another one.

14 hours ago, BK said:

Again, I told you where to look and you didn't. I'm trying to help you. Buying in Europe save money ?, IT IS JAPANESE ! Cheapest place is direct from Japan. Go onto RHD Japan and order one right now for $3k AUD, which is what 2000 Euros ? Trust me you are not getting it cheaper anywhere than that. They'll ship it EMS which is fast and relatively cheap.

Now go order. Go on, right now go to RHD Japan and order. Now.

Edit: Here is the link. Click on link, log in, order now, receive in June, done.

https://www.rhdjapan.com/os-giken-close-gear-kit-5-speed-nissan-rb26dett-input-shaft.html

At that price I'm considering buying one just to have one put away if I ever want to build another one.

So they have a strengthened input shaft. Are the gears any stronger? Other than shorter gearing what is the benefit?

On 5/11/2019 at 6:25 AM, WantGTR said:

So they have a strengthened input shaft. Are the gears any stronger? Other than shorter gearing what is the benefit?

Mate they are massively stronger gears than factory, that is the benefit. Hard shot peened from OS giken from better steel, and has a straighter helical cut than standard. I don't know about you, but the first time I launched my 32 with Mickey Thompson ET streets at the strip with a stock box I tore 3rd gear a new one mid run. Stripped all 3rd teeth clean off. That box became an OS box. Still keep the counter shaft and main shaft gear to show people what breaks. Last photo is actually when I broke 3rd in a Trust 6 speed. See they don't break as severely, but broken is broken none the less.

That was about 10 years ago, never used a standard gearset again in either car.

WP_20180930_20_42_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20180930_20_42_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20180930_20_44_57_Pro.jpg

1 hour ago, BK said:

Mate they are massively stronger gears than factory, that is the benefit. Hard shot peened from OS giken from better steel, and has a straighter helical cut than standard. I don't know about you, but the first time I launched my 32 with Mickey Thompson ET streets at the strip with a stock box I tore 3rd gear a new one mid run. Stripped all 3rd teeth clean off. That box became an OS box.

That was about 10 years ago, never used a standard gearset again in either car.

Fair enough. The description is a bit vague on rhdjapan. They copy pasted whatever is on os giken website.

• 2 weeks later...