SAU Community

R33 gtr gearbox upgrades?

Yeah that's the go and what I still use in the 33. If you get the 3 speed kit with uprated input shaft it ends up being strengthened 1st - 4th gears with a standard 5th, as the input shaft is essentially 4th as it is the 1:1 direct gear.

The OS Giken 5th is more for circuit racing being shorter.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 1:09 PM, Shyboy said:

I have OS set in mine for last 4-5 years 400-440 kw no problems yet , even Os quad plate went and the box still good

Samsies. Had no problems to this point, although I try not to treat it like a switch. 
But sometimes i get excited and need to be quick on the changes... my gear-set is tougher than I thought it would be. 

Be aware that the Speedtek sets seem to work for the RWD guys but I haven't heard of anyone's successful use of them with AWD.

impersonally looking to go to the PAR gear set once my box meets its impeding destiny.

I ordered my os giken 5 speed set with input shaft in July last year and I'm still waiting for it.

Received an email from RHD japan yesterday saying it is still going to b a few months so that 4 month build time is way off. Should of paid the extra money and got 1 from somewhere local. 

Why are they telling me the 30th of May for stock then ? I deal with Patrick and Russell from RHD on a weekly - monthly basis and they assured me this week. That sucks for you if that's the case. Maybe they only allocated a specific order ? Maybe ask for a refund if that is the case and get from Jacky at CJ motor in Qld or Darron Corrigan at Just Jap in Sydney. RHD is generally the best in the business.

It does say due on the 30th of this month in my orders part but I emailed them yesterday trying to confirm it and they sent back with gonna b a few more months.

Really hope they r just mistaken cos the wait is killing me.  

Tried the refund after the first delay but they said they couldn't. 

Got.heaps of parts from.rhd. never had these kinda issues before. The contact with them has been great. Os giken must have better things to do then make gearsets ?

• 1 month later...

I am currently looking to change my box in my R33 GTR .

I currently have a Quaife (Trust) 6 Speed Sequential Gearbox (dog engagements / straight cut gears).  It was in the car when I bought it in Japan.  What I can tell you from personal experience - don't get one.  I had it rebuilt with new parts from Quaife and its still not great.  So instead of wasting more money on it - I'm looking for a replacement.

Car is not tracked - rarely driven - but when it is it's street driven only - making about 510kw at the wheels.  

I'm looking for another 6 speed sequential - straight cut / dog engagement box - as I just love the noise ;) and its not daily driven.

From the few conversations I've had - I'm being told the PPG is the way to go over the Hollinger.  I'm told that the more expensive Hollinger is still the same design it was many moons ago and PPG taken great lengths to improve their design and box.   My budget is around the 20k mark - so that make PPG more attractive from that perspective.

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys

Dan

2 hours ago, IMACUL8 said:

I am currently looking to change my box in my R33 GTR .

I currently have a Quaife (Trust) 6 Speed Sequential Gearbox (dog engagements / straight cut gears).  It was in the car when I bought it in Japan.  What I can tell you from personal experience - don't get one.  I had it rebuilt with new parts from Quaife and its still not great.  So instead of wasting more money on it - I'm looking for a replacement.

Car is not tracked - rarely driven - but when it is it's street driven only - making about 510kw at the wheels.  

I'm looking for another 6 speed sequential - straight cut / dog engagement box - as I just love the noise ;) and its not daily driven.

From the few conversations I've had - I'm being told the PPG is the way to go over the Hollinger.  I'm told that the more expensive Hollinger is still the same design it was many moons ago and PPG taken great lengths to improve their design and box.   My budget is around the 20k mark - so that make PPG more attractive from that perspective.

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys

Dan

I just put a PPG sequential in my car

It is awesome!

It is helicial cut not straight cut so it is not as noisy. There is still some noise but it is much less compared to a straight cut.

If you really really want the whine, I suggest going Samsonas. They are a stronger box too.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, usmair said:

I just put a PPG sequential in my car

It is awesome!

It is helicial cut not straight cut so it is not as noisy. There is still some noise but it is much less compared to a straight cut.

If you really really want the whine, I suggest going Samsonas. They are a stronger box too.

Thanks alot for your feedback Umair

PPG being a Australian product makes me lean more that way.

Has anyone on here actually installed a Samsonas - whats the ball park cost the box?

5 minutes ago, IMACUL8 said:

Thanks alot for your feedback Umair

PPG being a Australian product makes me lean more that way.

Has anyone on here actually installed a Samsonas - whats the ball park cost the box?

have a friend with the samsonas in his 34. i would assume the cost would be similar to PPG, maybe a little bit extra

• 2 months later...

Really Speedtek is shit? They guaranteed gear set will hold 700hp.

It look better than the OS.

t0k2RN9.jpg

Im searching of gearset for my 450kw BCNR33, already killed 2 OEM gearbox'es. I'm thinking about OS and Speedtek.

Edited by Snara

https://www.google.com.au/url?q=https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/471502-speedtek-gearset-review/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiXi9f4lPzkAhXfILcAHS0YBa4QFjABegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw3P5URVUvVwroCJpRHPZOKn

https://www.google.com.au/url?q=https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/465819-speedtek-vs-ppg-gear-set-what-the-best-value-gear-set/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiXi9f4lPzkAhXfILcAHS0YBa4QrAIwAXoECAoQAw&usg=AOvVaw3ABbE2zPnnJuNbRJhI5AYn

Better than OS Giken ? Don't think so mate.

Not saying OS Giken is unbreakable, but definitely proven to be fairly reliable up to certain power levels. Manufacture and fit is consistent, unlike what has been mentioned about Speedtek. If you break an OS giken set you needed something better than that anyway.

Be wary of "guarantees", especially when it comes to gearsets.

• 2 months later...

so I placed my order for a Os Gear Set over 1.5 years ago and I was just told my Os that feb2020 they might make a set.... people they need 5 orders before they make any... get your orders in so I can have a set 

Holy crap ! Really ? Would have got the Pfitzner or PAR Gearset if I had to wait that long....

Again as I mentioned before, who have you ordered it through ? as RHDjapan are saying they have some in stock now and have still backordered more.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bringing up an old post but just wondering how strong the series 3 boxes really are, I was thinkin of buying a s3 brand new because I have now killed 2 boxes in my s2 33gtr making 490kw

And you'll kill another one. There isn't any difference in strength, the synchros are just revised slightly for better shifting. There is bugger all difference between the boxes really, I don't know why Nissan even bothered. About 10 parts were changed.