SAU Community

Opinion Poll - Ideal power for track car

Ideal Power for Track Car  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi Guys,

At the moment I'm starting to think about the engine build which  will eventually go into my R32. I am considering doing an rb26/30 build (want the car to feel responsive and not be a lag monster) but just wondering what you think would be a usable amount of power will be for a dedicated track car which will not be overkill

Regards,

Dylan

What ever your current diff and gearbox can handle, as they pretty much double the scope and cost of a build to upgrade.  Generally the 300-350rwkw mark with some pushing to 400kw while keeping things affordable.

• Like 2

Well, there's also the question of "What category do you want to win?"

As it stands, the question makes no sense.  You did not specify "just a plaything".  Nor budget, nor prep level of rest of car, as per JGTC's point above.

As such, my vote is the max option on your list.

Edited by GTSBoy

should be able to get a reliable 600rwhp out of an engine that size

the question is.....  how much money are you going to leave to spend on getting the power to the ground, going around corners and stopping the car

3 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Well, there's also the question of "What category do you want to win?"

As it stands, the question makes no sense.  You did not specify "just a plaything".  Nor budget, nor prep level of rest of car, as per JGTC's point above.

As such, my vote is the max option on your list.

nor mention of existing seat time/experience or handling/brake/grip level

• Like 2

All of the powers, all of them, just wound back a bit so it doesn't break stuff getting it on of off the trailer.

Or 10% lower than the weakest link 

Stolen picture of possible weakest link

images (2).jpeg

I can confirm the weak link theory.

IMG20190318150128.jpg

IMG20190318150135.jpg

I was lucky enough to get my hands on 1 of the last brand new ones available. Im going to cry if i break this one.

IMG20190322154029.jpg

Anyway, 1000hp minimum is a good starting point..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

KW seem great until things explode and you get passed by a MX5 with 95kw cause that dude has done 180 reliable track days and has seat time.

If you're building a track car, the engine should be the last thing you touch to modify at all, other than cooling ?

• Like 3

To put it in perspective, I was reading up about road course stuff and someone put a stat out there, in an average 20 minute track session, you're doing the equivalent of 75 drag passes on your car in 20 minutes.

When people say "I've had 400kw for years and haven't had a problem" they are not doing say 375 drag passes in one day.

I've had 450kw atw for 2 years. Track days you say? One... where i broke it. [emoji849]
So yeah, 100% reliability over bulk power.

• Like 2