SAU Community

Twin OS Giken noise

I have my first twin plate clutch and it came with the R32. It is an OS Giken. I have a couple questions.

While I have the clutch in, there is some plate noise. It's not terrible, but noticable. It is gone as soon as the clutch starts to engage (in gear or in neutral.) And it is not the throw out bearing. Is this normal?

Second, while starting from a full stop, occasionally I get a grinding. Best guess is coming from the trans/diff/clutch area. It is different from gear grind. It does not happen between shifts or in reverse.

If it happens, it does while letting the clutch out. It stops when the clutch is fully engaged and only while in gear. And I can't get it to happen every time. If I'm a bit more aggressive on take off, it doesn't ever happen.

Any thoughts?Screenshot_20190502-231257_Chrome.jpeg

The noise is definitely normal. 

The grinding may be normal, hard to say from.your description. the clutches aren't designed to be street friendly as the main design goal, they are made to hold the power.

The rattling of the twin plate is 100% normal. Mine (not OS) does it quite loudly.

I'm not so sure that a grinding is though. Is it possible your putting the car in first while still moving. I know mine hates that.

Nope. It's all the way in gear at a dead stop. Letting the clutch out like a normal human being and it'll grind.
A little more aggressive and it doesn't. My theory/understanding is that the plates engaging slowly and separately causes them to rotate at different speed. That's the grinding. That is until they are fully engaged together.
Either way, drive it like you mean it. [emoji38]

• Like 1