SAU Community

Hey guys,

I am a coming owner of a BNR32 03/1994 in Melbourne. I have currently 2 Nissan keys.

I was told by the dealer that the GTR key is an option then, where it is either a GTR key with 1 Nissan key, or 2 Nissan keys.

I am doubtful about that information, but he ordered a brand-new uncut OEM KEY00-00185 for me.

However, I brought the key in to two locksmith and was told that it was impossible to make the key due to different 'threads'.

Can anyone advise me?

Hey! UPDATE!

My apologies for being such an amateur. I have been asking around.

My car is currently still at the workshop and have yet been rego-ed. Apparently, the key that i have got is the original 'sub-key' and the workshop has my main key.

Interestingly, the main and sub have different profiles and yet they are able to ignite or unlock the car.

So I picked up the main key today and got it cut out on the GTR key.

Problem solved & learnt something new today!

Thank you!

What you are referring to is the service key.

Named that way so when you took your car in for service, you could lock your valuables in the boot or glovebox. You would naturally flick the lever in the boot to disengage the remote next to the seat.

All R32 GT-R’s came standard with 1 GT-R key, 1 Normal Nissan key and 1 Nissan Service key. One has a roundish head and the other square/rectangular.

If they are original keys from the factory then they should have a 4 digit code. I always pay extra and get new keys cut off the code rather than a 25+ year old key. This eliminates snagging using an old key.

Cost difference is about $20 but well worth it. 

Cheers.. Bob.