SAU Community

Installing vq25det turbo setup on vq35de

NicPM35

I know I know I know, this topic has been covered before, but not in enough detail I reckon. 

I have a crazy idea, grabbing all the turbo bits off the vq25det engine and whacking them on my vq35de. 

Some have said the turbo would be too small, but does that mean it just wouldn't make huge power or would actually just get blown to bits? And would a high flow turbo work better then?

I'm not interested in huge power, just a nice little boost up from stock. 

Seems silly to spend 10k on a turbo kit, when vq25det setups are right there... 

Tell me I'm dreaming 

The 25 turbo would be too small, I have turbos from my vq30dets and even those would be too small for a 35 and I would guess the 30 turbo is bigger than the 25.  You can get high flowed vq30det turbos though that are so called rated for 400hp on a 30.  Could still use the rest of the turbo exhaust piping.

Got a mate selling his HKS turbo kit with Stillen exhaust which should bolt up on a PM35. Nowhere near $10k.

VQ25det plenum has very small runner holes compared to the VQ35. Not even close to matching up.

An inline VH45de from a Fuga or something like the below would give you some grunt:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/engines/listing-2154613139.htm?rsqid=b1d4fc303ef64319b70facb103b34613-001

It's not just the turbo kit. I've done about 4 or 5 of the VQ35DE turbo conversions ranging from 240AWKW to 660RWKW. Your supporting mods will be just as expensive as a HKS turbo kit to do it properly. If you do it yourself you will save big $$$.

IMO the best bag for buck on the street if you want approx 200RWK on a VQ35DE is a firstly a very well sorted and flowing exhaust with H/F CAT's(use Z34 headers and cat's), a Z33 manual diff(3.538) for those of you with the PM35 only as the PNM is already 3.538, fuel pump and good catch can setup. With those mods you should be able to get 180-190RWKW with good plug and play ECU like a LINK.

If you want more for a street car a supercharger is your next best bet. The supporting mods to make it work well and get you reliability. power will be about 220 - 240RWK.

Once you go turbo its a major game changer as everything needs to be adapted especially if your in the PNM35.

P.S. I am only talking figures with 98 Octane fuel for the boosted setups as E85 is another setup and power change. IMO is you have $20K put an LSA in it and say goodbye

7 hours ago, NicPM35 said:

Latest plan: give wife the car and just buy a faster car. Problem solved. 

Good idea. I was going to suggest selling it and getting the best RS6 you could afford.

1 minute ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Good idea. I was going to suggest selling it and getting the best RS6 you could afford.

Oof $$$$. I'm looking at importing a jzx110, still not the best bang for buck, but hard to beat a nice 4 door 1jz!

2 hours ago, NicPM35 said:

Oof $$$$. I'm looking at importing a jzx110, still not the best bang for buck, but hard to beat a nice 4 door 1jz!

Yep I had a nice Cressida 2.8  many years ago. I was just about to change my Skoda Superb 2.7 for an Audi Allroad 2.7TT when I got to the bit where it said to service the turbos first remove the engine so for now I have settled for a boring but reliable (almost beige) 2005 Camry V6