SAU Community

R33 Fix or Sell?

Hi guys, I am after some advice with my 33. I have been having thoughts on selling it as I only am able to drive it every couple of weeks. I don't feel like the engine is going to last much longer with being on e85 and running 400rwhp. And if the motor goes I am looking at least ~$12K to rebuild it properly. At the moment it looks like the motor is leaking oil from the head gasket on the exhaust manifold side. There is oil higher up but it looks like majority of it has pooled near the head gasket. It needs another timing belt kit in about 20,000km but I may do it sooner than that as last time I did it was 3 years ago. Also has rear main seal leak, sump is leaking and I believe the gearbox needs to be rebuilt as it is notchy into second gear and can't always get first gear in it.

I have put about $8-10K into the car in my ownership, with the turbo, exhaust, fmic, afm, coilpacks, fuel pump and multiple dyno tunes. At this point it really needs a new ECU as I'm not happy with the blow-thru setup on the car at the moment. 

I believe I'd need to put at least $20k into the car to get it where I want it to be and I don't think its worthwhile. What are your guys thoughts?

400whp on e85 is a walk in the park for an RB25. Your oil leak is more likely to be from the rocker cover gasket or half moon seal rather than head gasket. Rear main and oil pan gasket, theres quite a few hours of labour there.

Gearbox rebuild is around 2k, new box is around $3200 or you can just refill it with redline oil which will make it feel better.

I don't know why you'd want to rebuild the engine if oil leaks are the the only issue. I can understand if you have real low or uneven compression or some other serious problem.

My own rb25 has been making 420 rwhp on e85 for a few years now. Done over 30 track days where it gets completely flogged. Compression is still really good, i recently had the head off, everything looked in good knick, could still see factory hone marks on bores. Valves and guides where in great condition, as was the 23 year old head gasket. The only thing that wasn't great was one of the valve stem seals. IMHO if it aint broke dont fix it.

If you really want an engine, there is an Sau member selling a forged rb25 for 3k.

I suppose it's up to you how much you like your car whether it's worth it or not to get it back up to scratch. Personally i wouldn't be rebuilding unless i really had to or was aiming to increase power substantially.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, admS15 said:

400whp on e85 is a walk in the park for an RB25. Your oil leak is more likely to be from the rocker cover gasket or half moon seal rather than head gasket. Rear main and oil pan gasket, theres quite a few hours of labour there.

Gearbox rebuild is around 2k, new box is around $3200 or you can just refill it with redline oil which will make it feel better.

I don't know why you'd want to rebuild the engine if oil leaks are the the only issue. I can understand if you have real low or uneven compression or some other serious problem.

My own rb25 has been making 420 rwhp on e85 for a few years now. Done over 30 track days where it gets completely flogged. Compression is still really good, i recently had the head off, everything looked in good knick, could still see factory hone marks on bores. Valves and guides where in great condition, as was the 23 year old head gasket. The only thing that wasn't great was one of the valve stem seals. IMHO if it aint broke dont fix it.

If you really want an engine, there is an Sau member selling a forged rb25 for 3k.

I suppose it's up to you how much you like your car whether it's worth it or not to get it back up to scratch. Personally i wouldn't be rebuilding unless i really had to or was aiming to increase power substantially.

Who is selling the forged 25? Is he w.a member? 

Man tough call honestly, I mean you like the car and I know this from the time/money spent on it from your side.

I say study it well and see whats ur best options.

I'm afraid from your situation that one day I wake up and say I dont want my R34... [emoji26]

I say do a proper diagnosis of the engine and take it from there. Best of luck.