SAU Community

Powerglide / t400/ t700 etc and keep 4wd?

Hello, i have been searching for gearboxes for a while now and i cant really make up my mind.

The car will be street driven so the gearbox must have a reverse and be able to downshift by itself etc.

Seen some people using powerglide t400 / t700 and liberty gearboxes etc, but the liberty gearbox (clutchless) seem to be pain in the ass for roaduse?

anyony got any suggestions here? the gearbox must hold for atleast 1200 bhp

Best regards

Nice street car with 1200hp.. Powerglide or th400 are your only choices really.. Mate owns a 1000hp GTR and commented on the sequential being a little rough for a streeter. 

Really depends on the type of racing you plan on.. auto would be bit average for circuit, holinger would be ok for drags. mentioning liberty leads me to believe its a street drag car?

Edited by azzada1

On 20/05/2019 at 9:17 PM, azzada1 said:

Nice street car with 1200hp.. Powerglide or th400 are your only choices really.. Mate owns a 1000hp GTR and commented on the sequential being a little rough for a streeter. 

unsure what you mean by a little rough, although I am only around the 800whp mark, I find the holinger perfectly streetable, obviously using the clutch as cruising around for daily driving. 

Wow, First you wanted an OS giken or PPG synchro gearset, and now you're talking Autos ? WTF ? That's a pretty dramatic difference between setups. If you go the auto route it is basically a "street registered" drag car. C'mon if it's got an auto in a BNR32/BCNR33/BNR34 to me it is hardly a GTR anymore.....

At least the sequential dog boxes have a certain amount of "having your cake and eating it too", as they can be streeted, can be circuited and can be drag raced all with good results. I really hate the idea of an automatic GTR.

Anyway CRD have done TH400 on GTR like JUN II with 4WD so it is possible.

I think CRD and Maatouks can both supply a TH400 and the necessary gear to install the box. 

the actual set up of it is the tricky bit, I would only go auto if it was going to be setup by one of the guys who have runs on the board to make it all work. 

2 hours ago, hattori hanzo said:

unsure what you mean by a little rough, although I am only around the 800whp mark, I find the holinger perfectly streetable, obviously using the clutch as cruising around for daily driving. 

Just the usual multiplate clutch with laggy RB "roughness".. more so in comparison to an auto. Setting it up would be alittle tricky although it looks like some shops just manage to buy a combo from Als raceglides and with afew converter tweaks its running 7s/8s haha

2 hours ago, azzada1 said:

Just the usual multiplate clutch with laggy RB "roughness".. more so in comparison to an auto. Setting it up would be alittle tricky although it looks like some shops just manage to buy a combo from Als raceglides and with afew converter tweaks its running 7s/8s haha

I would suspect those guys who setup and run 7s and 8s have been playing and tweaking with converters for years. I would be cautious of thinking a newbie could replicate.  

• Like 1