SAU Community

Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and E85

Anyone use this with E85?

Lucas upper cylinder lubricant, NOT Lucas Safeguard

"Apparently" it aids in lubricating injectors and fuel pumps, I've seen simular stuff advertised specifically for E85,  VP racing M2, which (again) "apparently" is the same stuff as this or the safeguard (safeguard isn't compatible with diesel though). 

Anyone use this with 98?

Anyone use this with diesel?

I used it years ago in a old Torana I had, as no leaded fuel was available, seemed to work just fine, I think it was 2ml per 1ltr of fuel.

It also "apparently" boosts octane, by how much?????? 0.0001 RON, but, it at least doesn't knock it down, "apparently".

Why am I asking, a mate was having issues with his fuel pump, "apparently" the E85 he was using ate it, from there we started talking about fuel injectors and the requirement or advantage to lubricant the plunger, yada yada yada, just add beer.....

This post has been brought to you today by curiosity and the word "apparently".

It was used ages ago by many [me included for a while] to compensate for cushioning effect of lead in super.  Was supposed to make your valves and valve seats last longer....because everyone kept telling the world that all our valves and seats would erode away with this unleaded poison we were forced to use.

It may well do this, but with modern valve seats and valves it was proven over time to be totally unnecessary.  And older vehicles with cast valve seats [or cast iron heads with seats cut directly into the head] and 'softer' valves got updated and then went on to do another million miles.

I can remember these sort of additives on every service station counter available in little 40ml plastic shots - one per tank fill.

These days you rarely see it anywhere, and with good reason, it was totally unnecessary.  We lament the loss of super, but the sky didn't fall?

In the case of E85...I don't know, but suspect the same.

There's a very big difference between "lubricant" in upper cylinder lubricant and "lubricant" in terms of what might keep pumps and injectors happy. The former is lead or calcium or some other mineral based thing to cushion the valves on the seats, and the latter is going to need to be some type of oily lube.