SAU Community

Nismo Short Shifter Thoughts?

I would avoid the short shifter, reducing the shifter travel just makes it easier to burn up your synchros. The solid shifter might help with tightening up the feel but will increase noise and vibration transmitted through the shifter. If you're worried about the NVH I would just replacing some bushings in the shifter and call it good.

Good stock replacement is your existing shifter is falling apart at the bonded rubber. Mate, I know it "says" short shifter, but it is just a stock stick cut down 7.5mm with stiffer rubber bonding the inner and outer parts of the stick, which it also says. The bottom nylon bush is also stock. The only reason it is 10% shorter throw is the stick being cut down, not a fulcrum height change like real quick shifters.

Realistically no real noticeable difference than the stock one.

The Nismo 25% real quick shifter is awesome though. Regarding that quick shifters wear out synchros faster is really not true, in a way, as you will wear them just as fast if you are trying to slam it through anyway.

edit: I own both 10% short and 25% quick Nismo shifters for comparison.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BK said:

Regarding that quick shifters wear out synchros faster is really not true, in a way, as you will wear them just as fast if you are trying to slam it through anyway.

I think the general assumption is that the hamfisted will be more hamfisted with a short shifter.

11 hours ago, BK said:

Good stock replacement is your existing shifter is falling apart at the bonded rubber. Mate, I know it "says" short shifter, but it is just a stock stick cut down 7.5mm with stiffer rubber bonding the inner and outer parts of the stick, which it also says. The bottom nylon bush is also stock. The only reason it is 10% shorter throw is the stick being cut down, not a fulcrum height change like real quick shifters.

Realistically no real noticeable difference than the stock one.

The Nismo 25% real quick shifter is awesome though. Regarding that quick shifters wear out synchros faster is really not true, in a way, as you will wear them just as fast if you are trying to slam it through anyway.

edit: I own both 10% short and 25% quick Nismo shifters for comparison.

That is how I understand as well, the "short" shifter has the same leverage point as stock but comes with stiffer rubber, which I hope will help with shifting feel.

The "quick" shifter as you mentioned actually has different fulcrum.  I don't know how well this quick shifter is designed, but quick shifters I have experienced in other cars in the past would require more effort to move the stick than I prefer, some to the point of distracting (Mustang GT).  

I don't find the Nismo quick shifter much different in effort to be honest, but it is definitely really short. Look, you say your shifter is getting loose with age, but what does that actually mean ? Is the shaft at the top part of the stick actually coming away from the bottom part (deteriorated bonding rubber) ? Or are you talking about just being sloppy in the box ? If it's the latter you probably just need a new lower nylon bush. I am yet to see a shifter stick fall apart at the bonding rubber, so your problem is most likely just the bush R32/R33 GTR part 32861-05U00. This is the same bush on the stock Nissan and both Nismo shifters also. GKtech make a brass one, but I'd never use it. I've fractured and lost a few of these using dog boxes and they go into the transfer case. Nylon fine, but if a brass one fractures and falls into transfer case, it's box out time.

Yes at first I was looking to replace 32861-05U00, 32875-V5002, and 32862-05U00.  Then I saw the Nismo "solid" short shifter and thinking, oh this shifter must comes with stiffer bushing and rubber because this is their product description:

"By hardening the inner rubber of a standard shift lever, the amount of deflection is decreased. ... This changes the rather soft touch of a standard car to a much more precise, fast feeling."

I don't know if that's just marketing BS, that's why I post here asking about it.  Sounds like it is purely marketing BS if they only use stock bushing.

Nothing wrong with stock lower nylon bushing, as long as it's in good condition. As mentioned, on the 10% shifter:

-stick is bonded with stronger rubber (apparently) for less flex

-cut down from top 7.5mm to give the 10% throw reduction

-uses stock lower nylon bush

Nowhere they mention a stiffer lower bush and I'm sure Nismo don't sell one.

Hello David,

To address the initial question, the solid shifter a subtle upgrade to the stock shifter. It feels nicer and for the small outlay I think it is definitely worth it.

As discussed above, it's not a performance based upgrade, but it makes the experience of driving a bit more refined. In this circumstance not marketing BS, description is pretty accurate.

Thanks for the feedback, Charles!

This guy's reaction to the Nismo shifter seems genuine, would you folks know if that's the short shifter or quick shifter?

Edited by TXSquirrel

More than welcome, David.

I used to watch RCR alot when it was new, haven't seen this vid. I see he's got a much more casual style of editing now.

Back to topic on hand. I'm no expert and I've never seen a quick shift in action but if I had to guess I would say that is a short shifter.

I'm basing this assumption on:

1. Length and comfort of throw,

2. No perceivable transmission noise of vibration,

3. Shaft is black instead of chrome,

4. Passenger stating "Nismo short shift" at 1:19

I could be totally wrong though... Ben may have a more thorough understanding.

Yeah I would say 10% solid short shifter as the stick is black, not the 25% quick shift as yes the stick is chrome on the quick shift. FYI there is absolutely no difference of noise or vibration when using the quick shift that I can detect.

Just buy one. Sounds like you want one and the solid short shifter is only a little bit more expensive than a stock shifter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ERO54N said:

I used to watch RCR alot when it was new, haven't seen this vid. I see he's got a much more casual style of editing now.

That was the behind the scene clip.  Here is the original edited version, where he thought the shifter is comparable to Audi R8.

3 hours ago, BK said:

Just buy one. Sounds like you want one and the solid short shifter is only a little bit more expensive than a stock shifter.

I was going to replace worn OEM parts until I saw that RCR video. I already have the OEM nylon bushing, the nylon locking ring, and bonded rubber in my shopping cart ready to checkout.

Yeah I do want one, for me it's about ~$150 USD shipped versus replacement OEM parts for $16 USD shipped. Now thinking about it, I want to get both and do a comparison.

Edited by TXSquirrel

you do realise you can't remove or replace the nylon upper part between the ball and the stick right ? Well not without destroying it. You cant get over ball end and doesnt go over the upper shifter shaft. It is put on at factory before they bond the rubber on the shaft and is why part 32875-V5002 you listed is not in Nissan fast as a GTR part.

when you say "bonded rubber" above, that part you've listed is just a lower oil seal rubber and has nothing to do with the shifter being tight or loose. The bonded rubber they talk about stiffening is in the stick itself that links the ball end shaft to the gearknob end.

The main thing that really only makes a difference to slop in the shifter is the lower nylon locating bush or gearbox shifter centralising springs being worn mate.

Just curious but have you ever actually pulled the shifter out and had a look, because it doesn't sound like it.

3 minutes ago, BK said:

you do realise you can't remove or replace the nylon upper part between the ball and the stick right ? Well not without destroying it. It is put before they bond the rubber and is why part 32875-V5002 you listed is not in Nissan fast as a GTR part.

Oh didn't know that...  I thought it could just come out off the top...  Now I finally realize what you mean by bonded rubber, which I kept thinking was that dust boot the whole time.

no the gear stick is actually two pieces put together from factory. Only way to get that new ring intact is with a NEW shifter. This part is a completely different removable ring on a proper Nismo quick shifter.