SAU Community

heading to the drags - looking for tips, including not breaking anything

mikel

Hi guys,

Last time I took my R33 GTST to the drags was 12 years ago - back then I did 5 runs, snuck into 13s on the last run (13.94 @ 106MPH) and was happy with that and drove home.

I'm heading out tomorrow to Willowbank with some mates for a bit of fun and looking for tips - including reducing the risk of breakages and being able to drive home ?.

Mods - Power FC, FMIC, oil cooler, boost controller, HKS2530 turbo, NPC organic single plate clutch without many km on it + NPC lightened flywheel.

Stock manual gearbox and diff, cheap street tyres (Achilles) with plenty of tread, 245x45x18.

Dynoed at 234 RWKW on PULP 98

Fresh oil, brakes pads/rotors/fluid are in good nick

I've read a bunch of posts in this forum that include advice such as:

• remove extra weight (in my case that would only be the spare wheel, jack etc
  • have 1/2 tank fuel, not full
  • lower the rear tyre pressure (I'll have a pump to re-inflate). 

My old 2530 turbo is a bit laggy, so I know that I'll have to slip the clutch to get the old girl off the line.

The other guys I'm going with will likely be in high 12s/low 13s (chipped BMW M2 and C43 Merc - both autos), so there'll be a temptation to push things a bit - and I'm seeking guidance on getting reasonable ETs while minimising the risk of breakages (and I accept there's always a risk I'll break something)

I have questions such as:

• what sort of revs do you try to leave the start line at?
  • is there any point in doing a burn out on street tyres? I would assume some benefit is gained from a warm tyre compared to cold?
  • depending on the number of people running - especially at the start of the session - there may be opportunities to do back to back runs with minimal time between - if oil and water temps are fine, do I just line up again, or should I give the clutch some time to cool down?
  • The car doesn't get driven much - I've got 1/2 tank of P98 but it's 2 months old - should I throw in a bottle of octane booster?
  • any other tips on getting good ETs in a manual Skyline with minor mods?

It will be a fun night - beating the BMW or the Merc is unlikely, but if I cut a better reaction time and get a good launch I may beat them over the line even with a slower ET....that's the stretch target...

Getting an ET around 13.5s (or better) and driving home after is the primary target ?

cheers

Mike

4-4.5k rpm

Burnouts are fun, don't do a big one, run your tyre pressure at about 25 psi and see how that goes

If your temps are fine go for it

Sure, why not

Practice, don't worry about racing the guy in the next lane, stage, grab your handbrake, wait for the green, bring the revs up to "whatever", launch hard and punish the clutch a bit, don't hit the limiter, stay in your lane, don't back off till you pass the line.

Profit

Have fun, play with tyre pressures, do some skids

Disclaimer: street tyres are shit

1 hour ago, mlr said:

4-4.5k rpm

Burnouts are fun, don't do a big one, run your tyre pressure at about 25 psi and see how that goes

If your temps are fine go for it

Sure, why not

Practice, don't worry about racing the guy in the next lane, stage, grab your handbrake, wait for the green, bring the revs up to "whatever", launch hard and punish the clutch a bit, don't hit the limiter, stay in your lane, don't back off till you pass the line.

Profit

Have fun, play with tyre pressures, do some skids

Disclaimer: street tyres are shit

nice...so get some runs up prior to running against any of "the guys in the crew" to begin to learn how to launch - and have fun.

Great post - cheers

Mike

well I had fun, but my times were shite - my mate in his BMW M2 ran a 12.9 while I was still waiting in the lanes - I knew I couldn't touch that.

My best time was 14.4 @ 104mph - a lot slower than the 13.94 I ran 12 years ago :(

And 14.4 was my first run...later runs where I thought my start was better were slower.:(:(

The only redeeming part of the night was beating a WRX STi

I'd completely forgotten how much is going on when trying to get off the line fast in a manual and how different it is with a helmet on...

...and later runs where I didn't try for a good reaction time, but tried for a better launch and riding the clutch more to not bog down were slower - likely I was frying the tyres and the clutch at the same time ...

Disappointed I couldn't get close to the time I ran 12 years ago - the car feels faster and the power comes on harder but I am running less rubber - 12 years ago I was running 265x35x18, now they're 245x45x18...I might have to try some drag radials.

cheers

Mike

On 27/05/2019 at 8:17 PM, mikel said:

well I had fun, but my times were shite - my mate in his BMW M2 ran a 12.9 while I was still waiting in the lanes - I knew I couldn't touch that.

My best time was 14.4 @ 104mph - a lot slower than the 13.94 I ran 12 years ago :(

And 14.4 was my first run...later runs where I thought my start was better were slower.:(:(

The only redeeming part of the night was beating a WRX STi

I'd completely forgotten how much is going on when trying to get off the line fast in a manual and how different it is with a helmet on...

...and later runs where I didn't try for a good reaction time, but tried for a better launch and riding the clutch more to not bog down were slower - likely I was frying the tyres and the clutch at the same time ...

Disappointed I couldn't get close to the time I ran 12 years ago - the car feels faster and the power comes on harder but I am running less rubber - 12 years ago I was running 265x35x18, now they're 245x45x18...I might have to try some drag radials.

cheers

Mike

Post a slip or two.

Did you play with your pressures.

Those tyres are shit though.

Was 104 mph the best, what weight is your car?

If your around 1550kg with your 104 mph you are around 220kw and 13.6 ish.

Service car, get some better tyres and go again, but, 13.5 is about it I'm a guessing.

Currently my NA 2.0 86 is 0.1 sec quicker than your turbo 2.5.

car is full weight R33 GTST coupe

timeslips attached

1419366232_timeslips2-25May19.thumb.PNG.133f013235cf4e099b3f92e53726816c.PNG

1564521959_timeslips25May19.thumb.PNG.2af0fe17651a6f64a2ad0e87d1865b08.PNG

I dropped pressure to 25 psi at the start before any runs, but didn't muck from there

17 hours ago, mlr said:

Currently my NA 2.0 86 is 0.1 sec quicker than your turbo 2.5.

oh dear :(

cheers

Mike

Edited by mikel