SAU Community

Radio transmitter

Hi im new here. I just purchased a 2002 v35 and i cant seem to get a radio signal higher than 90.0fm? Not sure how to fix this. Thanks im located in Brisbane

Hi im new here. I just purchased a 2002 v35 and i cant seem to get a radio signal higher than 90.0fm? Not sure how to fix this. Thanks im located in Brisbane

The FM radio in Japanese cars won't go beyond 90. Mhz as Japanese radio is set into a lower band than ours (88-108Mhz).

In order to get around this you can:

1. Replace the headunit.

2. Use an FM transmitter for your phone/mp3 player and set it to lower than 90Mhz.

Possibly the head unit could be re-flashed with new firmware, but I've not seen it before.

Hope this helps. [emoji16]

Edit: I've assumed that you have the OEM radio in your car.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your reply! It definitely does help because now i know what to do. New head unit it is ☺️

• Like 1

You can also buy a box that goes in the antenna line (ie, the car's antenna plugs into it and then you plug the box into the head unit's antenna input) and it subtracts X MHz from the signal and effectively scales back all the local stations so they tune in on the Jap frequency range. It's what we all did in the 90s.

• Thanks 1

Yes it does but its better than what i have now which is nothing lol. Do you know if i am able to get a headunit which has bluetooth installed? Im sorry im at a loss with this one. I just love my nissan though.

Thankfully, your vehicle is old enough to be easy enough for that kind of task. I'll leave it to dudes who have done it to say what needs doing (or you can find plenty of forum threads through Google that would explain how).

• Thanks 1

Yes it does but its better than what i have now which is nothing lol. Do you know if i am able to get a headunit which has bluetooth installed? Im sorry im at a loss with this one. I just love my nissan though.
You might want to double check that you don't already have bluetooth (you might be lucky) and the existing head unit may be bluetooth capable.

If you dont have bluetooth, i should expect all new headunits would be capable. Just double check the specs if you are going to buy one, but i honestly couldn't see it being not available on some headunits, its cheap easy (for manufacturers) and what the market demands... [emoji16]

Oh ok i will have a look through it. Thank you for your help steve. Fingers crossed inhave music again soon lol

• Like 1