SAU Community

Random rego question NSW/VIC

Bought a car back in March as a tide me over, as I quit my job and lost my work car, it's registered in NSW, I live in Vic. I have a receipt for this purchase. 

I was flat out at the time and completely missed getting transferring the rego into my name within the 14 days Vicroads specifies, it's reg'd til August. 

Looking forward, now with full time work again, I'll be selling it to get into something else in June/July but I'm not sure how best to go about that without making issues for the new owner. 

Do I:

• Cancel the NSW rego and just sell it unreg (with or without RWC as they wish, it'll pass no worries). 
  • Register it in my name first then sell it? (additional costs and new owner could be from NSW anyway).

As neither Vicroads or RTA have any record of me owning the car (I have insurance papers and my receipt of purchase) I wasn't sure what was going to cause issues for the new owner. 

I'm leaning towards just register it in my name (potentially incur a late charge?) and then at least there's record of my ownership, but if I can simply sell it unregistered without issue that would be easier for me. 

A transfer of registration/ownership form is usually what's signed by both parties when a registered vehicle changes hands. However, this form is only applicable if the vehicle is staying registered during the sale.

Otherwise, a signed piece of scrap paper saying you bought x vehicle from x person for x amount is enough to declare you the legal owner of an unregistered vehicle, assuming it has no financial encumbrance caveat against it or is not currently registered in another state to someone else who hasn't signed that scrap paper. Likewise for the person you're wanting to onsell it to.

So in that regard, it's not going to make much difference to your new prospective buyer whether it's registered in your name or unregistered; either scenario will require them a visit to VicRoads with proof of ownership (being the scrap paper receipt or a transfer of registration/ownership form) and a RWC. A roadworthy certificate has to be presented anytime a vehicle changes hands, however, they are valid for a certain number of days (90?), so should you onsell the vehicle within a couple of months after registering it yourself, you'll save your buyer arranging a RWC.

Now, if registering it under your name first...it's up to you if you want to take the risk of wasting your time (worst case VicRoads will say no)...but there existed a bit of a loophole years ago (may still be around), where if an ACT/NSW vehicle was sold to a Victorian owner, the national database would place it under their Victorian name and address while still registered in NSW. Why is this noteworthy? Because if it's already in your name when you rock up to VicRoads for registration, you don't need a roadworthy certificate, as you were the owner in NSW and all you did was "move" states. Friend of a friend pushed a stupidly modified, illegally loud and not exactly drivable GTR into VicRoads and came out the other end with numberplates on it this way.

Birds, you son of a bitch, you're still around? 

I've got a signed receipt. 

The previous owner has done nothing with the rego, I literally bought it and drove it away and have been driving it since (since March) on the existing rego which is still in the previous owners name. I think there may be an associated late fee if I do turn up to register at Vicroads now, given my receipt is dated. 

I'll advertise it as available with full Vic rego or unreg and with or without RWC as desired and just see what the market says. Seems I can go either way without too much drama. Getting a RWC is not a big drama and if I can get a good dollar for it as RWC and Registered then I'll do the leg work for that. 

Plan is to wrap all of this up before it's out of reg in August. Just waiting on new job to show me details on the company car vs car allowance on offer. 

On 5/29/2019 at 8:33 AM, ActionDan said:

The previous owner has done nothing with the rego, I literally bought it and drove it away and have been driving it since (since March) on the existing rego which is still in the previous owners name. I think there may be an associated late fee if I do turn up to register at Vicroads now, given my receipt is dated. 

I'll advertise it as available with full Vic rego or unreg and with or without RWC as desired and just see what the market says. Seems I can go either way without too much drama. Getting a RWC is not a big drama and if I can get a good dollar for it as RWC and Registered then I'll do the leg work for that. 

Plan is to wrap all of this up before it's out of reg in August. Just waiting on new job to show me details on the company car vs car allowance on offer. 

Walk into RMS, hand the plates in, sell it unregistered. Don't even bother having to pay more to change rego and pay stamp duty bullshit etc. What you pay extra is going to be equal to the drop in price you give selling unregistered. 

Sign piece of scrap paper stating you sold it to new owner. 

Have done a few times before. 

• Like 2

On 5/29/2019 at 8:33 AM, ActionDan said:

Yeah I'm still around. Got a 33R to finish building!

On 6/5/2019 at 8:12 PM, ActionDan said:

I joined in the mid 00s, and I'm still here 0_0

Sames, though occasionally I disappear for large chunks of time and can come back to only 50 new posts... 

• 3 weeks later...

Bought another car recenrtly, from NSW, and thought I'd better actually clear this question up. 

Vicroads has no time limit at all on forcing you to move the rego into Victoria so long as it still has current valid rego in another state and you can prove ownership.

So says Vicroads about 15mins ago 14 days is a "guideline" they tell me.