SAU Community

Noob

Diko31

32 minutes ago, Diko31 said:

I plan on going sleeper, but wagons look mint slammed with some shallow dish wheels so yeah? thanks man! 

100%. 

Sleeper wagons are my favourite of all cars. Super excited to see what you can achieve.

• Like 1

ill give it my best. Will be a while away. If anyone has any tips or advice on how i should go about a top end rebuild, would be much appreciated! I would like to achieve around 200kw NA for road use and some track use (powercruise) without going to big on the upgrades. Fuel system aswell as the intake manifold will be modded/upgraded aswell as ECU mapping. Id like to maybe get a billet front face intake and get an appropriate ECU so i can get it programmed to run NA. From my knowledge, billet front face intakes are for turbo applications,unless you get the ECU programmed accordingly  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Diko31 said:

ill give it my best. Will be a while away. If anyone has any tips or advice on how i should go about a top end rebuild, would be much appreciated! I would like to achieve around 200kw NA for road use and some track use (powercruise) without going to big on the upgrades. Fuel system aswell as the intake manifold will be modded/upgraded aswell as ECU mapping. Id like to maybe get a billet front face intake and get an appropriate ECU so i can get it programmed to run NA. From my knowledge, billet front face intakes are for turbo applications,unless you get the ECU programmed accordingly  

You will never need to change the inlet manifold for an NA application. You wouldn't even need to change it for 400rwkW of turbo application. The stocker might look poxy, but it works properly.

Changing to front facing won't demand a tuneable ECU. You could do so on the stock ECU. Just use the stock TPS on the stock (or possibly even larger) TB and it will all still work. The plenum does not control the power the car makes anywhere near as much as you might imagine.

If you want it just for looks, that's fine, but don't make the mistake of thinking that it will be a performance upgrade. My single biggest suggestion is to spend your money where it will actually make a difference, not on things that are effectively just wank.

• Thanks 1

@GTSBoyIt definitely looks poxy. And i did want to get a billet purely based on looks...so maybe its the wrong thing to do

Billets do look lovely but if it isnt gonna provide more power than what the stock one could already provide, then yeah, theres no point hey

• Like 1

You can go for a mild cam. IMO spending money on the SOHC head isn't worth the money, unless you really like the single cam.

You can easily put a VL turbo "kit" on it if you're on a tight budget. But I'd save up and do turbo conversion properly.

Quite a bit of info around here and on a site more focused on the R31 Skyline ;);)

• Thanks 1

@niZmO_ManIm just gonna chuck on extractors and an exhaust. Thinking of getting nistune ecu and ill sus out a pod filter and get it tuned. Ill go with a turbo once ive got more knowledge because i dont particularly want to boost it with standard head gear. Ill more so head towards a supercharger with the wagon thats posted as its my daily and im doing it up more so based on personal preference rather than what provides more power. Keep in mind that prior to that its gonna get a twin cam setup though because well theyre better 

Jump on the wiki on R31 Skyline Club forum, all your answers await you. IMO pod filter is a waste of time/money. My car had no issues making 109rwkW with standard air box, GTS1 cam and GTS2 extractors (standard ECU). Yes it was a happy dyno haha.

Just leave it slow and build a drive train setup on the side ready to go in.... maybe buy a drivetrain setup. Turbo of course.
Research... lots

200kw from rb30 n/a is basicaly a dream.

25de n/a is 30+kw more roughly stock than the rb30 115-120kw. Engine ecu and loom change keep std auto maybe.

If you have an auto the manuals feel more powerful.
Minispool or weld the diff for twin fun.
Pod CAI ,zorst ,stractors , cam

Head work... dont bother with the 30 head especialy N/A. When turbo best to use dohc not sohc head then talk head work.

Cam should be done after some other mods so its alread opened up for the cam to work better.

I wouldn't really touch the current engine, unless it is to service.

The most I would do is OEM header back exhaust, I wouldn't even bother tuning it.

I would do brakes, suspension, bushings and major servicing.

Refurbish the OEM rims, get some good rubber.

There are a heap of modifed old Skylines, not so many clean un-munted ones though.

I wish I still had my old mint stock 31 wagon.

• Like 1

Yeah im thinking of buying whiteline front and rear sway bars. New coilovers at the front and new shocks+springs at the rear. New adjustable upper trailing arms, not sure if you can get adjustable lower trailing arms. Not sure what i should do about the panhard rod. Ill be replacing lca ball joints and replacing bushings wherever they need replacing. Still considering exhaust and extractors though. The head needs new lifters im pretty sure, but i think i might replace springs at the same time cause it wouldnt hurt, ill have to pull the head apart and inspect the parts tbh and some gunk needs to be removed.

She needs a good service so she'll be getting new pads and rotors, reckon i should upgrade calipers or leave em OEM?

Once thats done ill be converting it to manual

I do feel like a should keep it rather stock because there arent many out there plus ive got another wagon that im gonna be doing up for drift ha. Gives me more incentive to keep this one clean