SAU Community

I wanna do some spraying

Hi all,

I have a few small spraying projects I want to kick off soon. The biggest is a new front bar for my E90.

I'm going to be using an Aldi air compressor and I had some qs about that.

A lot of sites recommend against using such a compressor for doing a whole car but I'm not doing a whole car and I don't really understand why it's not recommended.

If I get a HVLP gun surely I could get a coat in with what's in the reservoir?

The next thing I need to choose is a gun, from my understanding I'll need a 1.3mm tip for clear and base. I'll just use a rattle can for primer.

This guy looks good: https://www.autorepairsdirect.com.au/professional-gravity-spray-gun-pot-1-3mm.html

Would love to open a little chat in here for small budget home spray jobs.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Look on You tube for videos on technique. Important requirement is a dust free environment on a still, windless day. And remember that a nice paint job will highlight  rather than hide any imperfections so preparation is key.

Wow for $99 you can't go wrong. Practice on a sheet of tin. If you don't like the result you can on sell it for a small $$ loss - worth the gamble I would say!

Cheap small compressors are the devils' work. The only way they make sense is if you buy 3 or 4 of them and gang them all together.
Well despite this we bought a gun today. It requires 100 l/min and our compressor will do 270 l/min so hopefully we can get a decent job out of it.