SAU Community

Ground up rebuild R32 GTST

30 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Should be a tidy little rig. 

Could I possibly encourage you to go something better than Kinugawa... 

RB20 needs all the help it can get with response. A Twin Scroll GTX would do nicely without breaking the bank. 

I had only decided on that because it was direct bolt on and I didnt feel like dealing with an exhaust shop having to custom fab any piping for me.  Are there any bolt ons available for a gtx?  I feel like the turbo is the only thing i didnt really go all out on because it was one of the first things i bought before i decided to get fully into it.  its still brand new in the box...

I sold brand new parts after changing directions too, lost nothing. 

I would think 6boost or Sinco would have a manifold option for you, 6boost would certainly make something for you. 

In the real world, twin scroll and GTX might gain you 300-800rpm of response, it sounds like stuff all but in an RB20 it will definitely help. 

Is it worth the cost? Your call. Maybe try and line up a ride in one that's setup that way. 

11 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

I sold brand new parts after changing directions too, lost nothing. 

I would think 6boost or Sinco would have a manifold option for you, 6boost would certainly make something for you. 

In the real world, twin scroll and GTX might gain you 300-800rpm of response, it sounds like stuff all but in an RB20 it will definitely help. 

Is it worth the cost? Your call. Maybe try and line up a ride in one that's setup that way. 

youre really going to make me second guess the turbo now hahaha.  i'm going to do some research.  I'm wayyyy over invested in this car as it is, so whats a little bit more to finish it off right.  

You can always finish it with the Kinugawa and just decide if you're happy with it, could feel great and be fine how it is. 

Just a suggestion from past experience with RB20s, they're just a bit sad off boost. I have the Silvia version (CA18) and it's the same. My car laps our local track at around the same time as a well sorted 86, yes an NA 4 cyl Subaru and I've apparently got 30-40rwkw's on him peak power, but just no torque anywhere. 

Do some reading, good luck :) 

2 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

You can always finish it with the Kinugawa and just decide if you're happy with it, could feel great and be fine how it is. 

Just a suggestion from past experience with RB20s, they're just a bit sad off boost. I have the Silvia version (CA18) and it's the same. My car laps our local track at around the same time as a well sorted 86, yes an NA 4 cyl Subaru and I've apparently got 30-40rwkw's on him peak power, but just no torque anywhere. 

Do some reading, good luck :) 

I'm always up for suggestions!  Agreed though, I could always get it together and see how it runs once its tuned and sorted out.  and if it lags too much, look into some other options.  I dont plan on racing at a track or anything...just something to enjoy on the road.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Very flasyh, did you make those or buy them? 

The brake/tail light LED's look interesting. 

bought them.  I wish I could do something like that myself.  The guy that makes them is awesome.  His instagram is @zledslights , he makes some really nice stuff.

I bought a set of zLEDs a while ago. I eventually managed to disassemble the taillights to install but have put that to one side in order to complete a bigger project on the car.

Did you buy the combined reverse / indicator panel?

4 minutes ago, Robzilla32 said:

I bought a set of zLEDs a while ago. I eventually managed to disassemble the taillights to install but have put that to one side in order to complete a bigger project on the car.

Did you buy the combined reverse / indicator panel?

Yea I went with stage 2 taillights and the combo reverse/indicators and combo fog/reverse panels.  I bought a set of the cheap led taillight assemblies just to get the clear red lenses too instead of the oem lenses that just look dated to me.  Hoping it turns out good.  

• 1 month later...

While I'm still waiting on the car to get back from paint...here are a few updates.  Fitted a ctsv drive by wire throttle body, got my powder coated s13 subframe back and fitted the solid bushings, got my engine back from the machine shop and am fitting a r35 coil set up, and finally received my complete wiring harness from wiring specialties!

IMG_1386(1).jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1393(1).JPG

IMG_1396.jpg

4 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Fair enough, good deals are good (y)

Does it do much for an R32? 

In the S13 I went to S15 with reinforcement plates added and it made a nice difference to rear end grip. 

From what I read, the s14 and s15 gave a wider track and less squat or something.  I did weld in the gktech reinforcement plates before it was powder coated.  Hoping with all the arms I can get it sitting pretty good.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Nice work, I couldn't see them in the pic? The kit includes pieces to reinforce the suspension pickup points I thought? 

Yep that's right, wider and better geometry, not a big deal if the car is street only though. 

Adam LZ drifts his r32 with the s13 subframe and all gktech stuff so Im hoping itll be ok.  Itll be completely set up for drifting.....but idk if I will feel comfortable enough to not destroy the car with all the money I have tied up in it.  I just want it to be really reliable daily that I can have some fun with.  

73ADFEAB-E171-4E92-9011-286C530DB2E0.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...