SAU Community

want to buy a turbo kit for my N/A R34

And my advice is to sell it, buy a GT-t and mod that.

Turbo charging a NA is a long, expensive and will produce a shit outcome.

Then factor in brakes, diff, gearbox, etc. And you've just burnt more money than what a GT-t is worth, not to mention getting it registered will be great fun.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Or with all the money you've burnt on your R34, you could have bought a nice BMW M4.

I actually don't think it's come to that, and honestly, legitimately, I would prefer what I have over a M4. I'm not saying anything is better than another, but the M4 is not really my jam and the complexity and cost involved would turn me off. Just a very different animal in the end. Can't throw another M4 engine in there if you blow it at the track one day.

Changing plans 5 times does cost you though, so having a clear idea what you want, how you want to use it to begin with is strongly recommended which is I am sure the point you were making here. All the advice at OP is in that vein, trying to help and skip a few costly steps between where he is now, and where he wants to be.

51 minutes ago, Slap said:

@ kinkstaah Nice build.
Did you get the wrong advice on the way or
Did you ignore some.
Or were you a ledgend that got none and learned it all by yourself the hard way.

Some advice I found is different to what I experienced. I would take advice with a pinch of salt and ask better, specific questions nowadays. When people say "I've had 350kw for years" you do need to establish exactly what driving patterns people have. 350kw commuting to work is different to 350kw doing the odd highway pull or hill run vs "I take it to the track (once a year)" vs "I take it to the track (30 times a year) when it comes to reliability.

Usually when you get the actual usage data of cars and their associated power levels, you can see where the builds differ. In my case it was mostly that. Like Dose pipe said, want to track a car reliably? You're going to start caring about heat, heat, heat, heat, heat, heat, heat, HEAT on so many more components than any road/street car and re-engineer that entire aspect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slap said:

Anyone who is lookin @ gt +t is lookin to do it skimp, avoid rwc compliances and engenering needs usualy because there car is still a registered skyline and they like there car. Why they came to Sau.

And realistically, we should not be supporting this "do it skimp" mentality. Shitty modified cars are bad for all of us. You live in f**king Victoria for f**k's sake. You should understand more than anyone else what it is to try live in a nazi control freak environment if you happen to like modded cars. If you want to help and encourage people to modify vehicles on the skimp, please do it to another make and model, so the cops don't associate our cars with flatbrim toothless single pegger fuctards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinkstaah said:

I take it to the track (30 times a year) when it comes to reliability

Nearly sounds like you're quoting me LOL

FWIW, 330kW on E85 with a stock motor and only headstuds lasted many years of track abuse. Went to 372kW and it exploded in under 2 years LOL

• Like 1

@kinkstaah

Well said and very true.
People have to start somewhere and an rb n/a build to +T for a low budget upgrade not caring about the motor then killing it and using your goodies on the gtt motor ya get it. The bonus of this upgrade is gt-gtt is you can do it slow and still drive eventualy having a pimped car you did yourself. Eventualy yes you relise to stop wasting money, but you have a car that is purley yours and everything done you know.

There is what i call the mod bug. And when you go turbo you go turbo learning and a lust of G's begins the craving inside 4 MORE POWER! A never ending feeling only quenched first drive after each power gain for a very short period (2secs) then its back and angrier... ahahaha .
@gtsboy
Your SA pricey is Vic skimp.
In vic we got hoops m8.
SA legally let you skimp.

4 minutes ago, Slap said:

SA legally let you skimp.

Absolutely not true. The rules are more stupid in Victoriastan, but you do have to comply with the rules here. The absence of regular inspections does not mean it is legal to do dodgy shit. You just won't get caught until you get caught.

Shows you dont get it.
We dont have regular checks. We have 1 compliance check at registration that is usualy tight. Then only again if ordered too.
Why we can keep em on the road and mod like you but not before an inspection that will cost 150 bucks + what ever the hell they want you to fix and this includes but is not limited to the stupidist shid, usualy 700-1500 for a RWC unless your in the industry.

Absolutely not true. The rules are more stupid in Victoriastan, but you do have to comply with the rules here. The absence of regular inspections does not mean it is legal to do dodgy shit. You just won't get caught until you get caught.

and this is why there are so many cooked/fked up cars in VIC with blown tail lights, broken headlights roaming the streets..!

More reason to own a newer car with AEB, because you won't know when a maroon camry is about to slam their brakes, because their brake lights are generally fked!

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Nearly sounds like you're quoting me LOL

FWIW, 330kW on E85 with a stock motor and only headstuds lasted many years of track abuse. Went to 372kW and it exploded in under 2 years LOL

Yourself and Mat Wooten's R34 had actual supportable, reliable data behind how the engine was driven, how it lasted, how long it lasted etc which is what people should be looking for instead of "I've owned the car with 600kw for years bro no probs" that can sometimes befound.

Definitely seems exponential in terms of power vs longevity (as you'd expect). A lot of things start to go pear shaped in Skylines as you go over 300-320kw, Clutches get shit, grip gets hard, lag becomes a problem, gearboxes let go, diffs can't hang on, NVH increases exponentially, engines explode more often, etc.

But yeah with a NA+T this all happens at 220kw instead of 320kw. If OP wants to have a 220kw car honestly and won't want more, then sure, NA+T and it may suit him really well.

Statistically improbable, though, hence all the well informed advise that gets repeated time and time again. Rare is the guy who is OK to drop down on power, usually same guy who has had reliability issues at higher power and the joy of cars hasn't been brutally snuffed out by them lol.

• Like 1

I had a NA+T Skyline that I bought when I knew very little, then put a GTT motor in it (not a NA+T) which was the smart decision. I did RB28 stroker kit, EFR Turbo and a Manual conversion. Now it has a 5.7L V8 in it and a T56.

So skip all the lines and yourself a V8, OP. I will testify as a package it beats the everliving shit out of any other Skyline or engine combination, you could give me the keys to a R34 GTR and I would hand them right back as that car is nowhere near the same level of comfort or fun or performance or reliability or peace of mind or cost.

So yeah, stay NA is what I am saying obviously.

There's two types of people in the world, one who will stop, listen and think and benefit from other people's experience (both good and bad) and actual, genuine idiots. Threads like this help define what kind of person someone actually is.
So when are you turboing the ls1? Please start new build thread when you do.
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 4:40 PM, GTSBoy said:

These 2 are incompatible. The only people who should consider buying R32 GTRs at this point in history are those who simply do not need to "save a bit of extra cash". You have to budget on spending the purchase price of the car every 2 - 3 years just to keep the bloody things running.

My current 2-3 year running cost = Zero other than basic normal and expected maintenance.. 'cough' it did need a new head but that was from the previous owners lack of maintenance and no changing the timing belt policy..ever...

R32 GTR in stock or stockish form is the most reliable of the whole fleet!

1 hour ago, Slap said:

Shows you dont get it.
We dont have regular checks. We have 1 compliance check at registration that is usualy tight. Then only again if ordered too.
Why we can keep em on the road and mod like you but not before an inspection that will cost 150 bucks + what ever the hell they want you to fix and this includes but is not limited to the stupidist shid, usualy 700-1500 for a RWC unless your in the industry.

Um, I think you mean that Slap doesn't get it. I didn't say that Vic had regular inspections. My comment was a very general "The absence of regular inspections does not mean it is legal to do dodgy shit". Applies anywhere that there are rules but not regular inspections to enforce them.

The stupid rules in Vic that I refer to are more the ones where they have said a blanket thing like "no more than 3 inlet tract mods" and enforce that regardless of whether the mods are just a different filter or a much bigger turbo or intercooler. That sort of prescriptive regulation is just f**king daft. Here in SA you can get anything engineered (as long as an engineer will sign off on it) like in most other states, and you can do other mods that might require engineering in other states without engineering if it meets Regency's advised requirements. Which is nice - it is how you can do things like fit big brakes or bigger engines from later versions of the same car without quite as much stuffing around as in NSW, for example. But it's not a license to do dumb shit.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2019 at 3:31 PM, Steve85 said:

i got it from a private owner who imports, but i wasn't too happy with his work. he doesn't know or care what hes doing most of the time prefer to take it to someone who knows and takes care of their customers car.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2019 at 6:31 PM, Slap said:

Follow your heart , sacrifice the essential.

If you can pimp it... pimp it.

If you can sell and buy closer to your heart do it.

If ya want all of em collect and save.

If ya want fast get or make somthin fast.

I can only tell you what i did not tell you what or where you wanna buy.

I saved some money up

My r32 skidline was brought second hand in 2011 from Port Macquarie nsw off a fella called brad. He had old scool mods wich i learned to hack and make use of at the same time keeping it unique. Even had neons in the engine. I had to fix all the weak links in the chain of mods nothing drastic. He did a great budget job for back in the day. Cost me 3k had Porsche gt green with black graphic center stripe , looked cool but road worthy inspections were refused at multiple places untill it was painted.

So i learned to paint.

Wouldnt let it go ever now passing it down to a son (lucky bugger).

So good luck im sure you will find one but they are usualy 10-15k gtst and gts4 or 30k+ gtr

301880739_images20(4).jpeg.1a848f930f13ba7e640f874da70483db.jpeg20171210_175405.thumb.jpeg.63719fb43c33a63370528191ded86295.jpeg

looks awesome! ??

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jase_r34 said:

i got it from a private owner who imports, but i wasn't too happy with his work. he doesn't know or care what hes doing most of the time prefer to take it to someone who knows and takes care of their customers car.

Sorry, i think i've misled you there a bit. 

You asked at the beginning which importers would be best if you wanted to bring in a different car. 

anyone know of any good import companies i hear iron chef imports are good

I was pointing you to the thread where most people have given their feedback. 

• Like 1

On 12/06/2019 at 3:41 PM, Slap said:

To clarify, my car is factory turbo with a manual conversion.

Heaps of people turbo n/a rb and more like building rb25/30. Why be so negative when people show intrest in a similar thing.

Sau isn't ment for people to get on here and try make others feel shid.

And as my post basicaly stated and some just cant fathom... the poster has there own decision to make and my experience buying an R32 is the best influence i can give

What im wondering is how many
asshemoji95.pngles will read this , get offended , not take any of it aboard and be a heroe to them selves by replying some more spirit breaking BS.

emoji106.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji106.png
Round of applause for giving my post your time!

none of us should be giving each other shit. were all here to help or give advice and share our own experiences. we all make mistakes anyway, i dont claim to know everything in fact i probably know as little as possible when it comes to the mechanical side of things i just enjoy what i drive and thats it lol. we all enjoy the same thing which is cars!

• Like 2