SAU Community

Should I sell my Skyline for a 4wd

I have been considering selling my R33 Skyline for a 4wd as I spend too much money on it and hardly drive it enough to justify it as there is always issues with it. 

I have been looking at buying a fairly new 4wd to daily and use recreationally, a good option at the moment looks to be a Mitsubishi Triton. 

What would you do and why?

How can we possibly answer that without knowing your life situation...

Me personally? I'd keep the Skyline but I'm a different person to you so...

A Skyline is more of a hobby than a means of transport so if you are bored with it move on!

As a former truck driver I can never understand why people buy a little truck for private use instead of a more comfortable car but if you are the hunting , shooting, fishing type of person who actually goes off road then a proper 4wd would be more use than a Skyline. If you want a ute then Toyota is still the best although the Isuzu D Max is also pretty bullet proof. Have you considered the likes of a Subaru Forester?

7 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

A Skyline is more of a hobby than a means of transport so if you are bored with it move on!

As a former truck driver I can never understand why people buy a little truck for private use instead of a more comfortable car but if you are the hunting , shooting, fishing type of person who actually goes off road then a proper 4wd would be more use than a Skyline. If you want a ute then Toyota is still the best although the Isuzu D Max is also pretty bullet proof. Have you considered the likes of a Subaru Forester?

Toyota is the best, but you pay a price for it. Mechanically triton/hilux are fairly similar, hilux having a bigger motor which is more unreliable than the 4d56 in the Triton. 

Triton I believe is just better value wise, and people don't give it enough credit. 

I have a Subaru forester atm as a daily, it's alright but I want something more suited to 4wding ?

17 hours ago, Steve85 said:

If you're over it and you don't like driving it, looking at it or working on it sell it. Otherwise keep it.

I feel like I'm over working on it, I did the headgasket about a year in a half ago. Only driven it 5000km since then and now it looks like headgasket is gone again, plenum is leaking vacuum, Z32 afm housing is cracked. Just super over it, it's old and if I keep it I'll have to replace everything. It's already cost me over 10k plus cost of car itself to get it where it's at now. Can't even drive it all the time. 

Toyota are old tech and expensive for what you get, Isuzu look and feel cheap, we have them at work.

Me, if I needed a Ute a BT-50 or Triton, maybe, with a canopy for sure.

It also depends on how hard you are going of road, do you need comfort, kids in the back?, friends or relatives in the back?

Then there's all the SUV 7 seaters, or the Landcruiser series.

Petrol?

Diesel?

Towing?

Nm?

Support?

Fuel economy?

My Mrs keeps pointing at them, sensible cars she calls them.

Picking one is so far the hardest pick of my life.

If I did get one it would need to be able to tow a loaded up car trailer with ease.

I do like the Ford Raptor, well it looks the business anyway, I would never really need all that capabilty though.

Then there is always Ram 2500 if you want to go bigger  

images.jpeg

images (1).jpeg

Nissan Patrol with an RB25/30 swap. You need to keep a little Skyline and Nissan in your life.

Out of the dual cab 4x4's i think the Ford Ranger is still top dog. The new hilux has serious dpf issues, they are often seen blowing excessive smoke. I wouldn't touch one.

I recently bought an Audi Q7 V6 diesel. Goes well, has 7 seats, can tow over 3T, is fairly capable off road, has factory air suspension with lift function and is a real nice place to be. So comfy, It feels like im driving my couch. 0-60 is pretty impressive too, quatro launches with 500+ nm = big smile.

I get back in my skyline after driving it and thank god i dont have to drive the Audi everday. Its a good thing but skylines are the holy grail of motoring enjoyment (•‿•)

3 hours ago, admS15 said:

Nissan Patrol with an RB25/30 swap. You need to keep a little Skyline and Nissan in your life.

Out of the dual cab 4x4's i think the Ford Ranger is still top dog. The new hilux has serious dpf issues, they are often seen blowing excessive smoke. I wouldn't touch one.

I recently bought an Audi Q7 V6 diesel. Goes well, has 7 seats, can tow over 3T, is fairly capable off road, has factory air suspension with lift function and is a real nice place to be. So comfy, It feels like im driving my couch. 0-60 is pretty impressive too, quatro launches with 500+ nm = big smile.

I get back in my skyline after driving it and thank god i dont have to drive the Audi everday. Its a good thing but skylines are the holy grail of motoring enjoyment (•‿•)

Man I hate Rangers, maybe its because I work on them everyday. We get so many of the 3.2s come in because the don't self prime the oil when doing a oil change, heaps of people make that mistake trying to diy a oil change on them. Other than that they have a lot of auto transmission issues, manual clutch problems, even the 3.0l diesel motors weren't the best. 

I'm not sure why people think they're so good, maybe because they look good?

Man I hate Rangers, maybe its because I work on them everyday. We get so many of the 3.2s come in because the don't self prime the oil when doing a oil change, heaps of people make that mistake trying to diy a oil change on them. Other than that they have a lot of auto transmission issues, manual clutch problems, even the 3.0l diesel motors weren't the best. 
I'm not sure why people think they're so good, maybe because they look good?
You can add front diffs to that list too. I personally dont like them either. I think people like them because of the way they drive and look. They handle pretty good for a little truck. Google moose test for a hilux and then compare that with a Ranger.

Most of the tradies who buy them don't really give a shit, ford fixes them under warranty and they update them every few years and claim it as a company cost.

In all honesty just about every brand has issues with cars, some worse than others. For every car that someone has had a positive experience with someone has had a negative. My own experience with my wifes ford focus and it's powershit transmission means i would never ever consider any sort of ford ever again. Ever.

[emoji86][emoji90]

Toyota is the best, but you pay a price for it. Mechanically triton/hilux are fairly similar, hilux having a bigger motor which is more unreliable than the 4d56 in the Triton. 
Triton I believe is just better value wise, and people don't give it enough credit. 
I have a Subaru forester atm as a daily, it's alright but I want something more suited to 4wding [emoji846]
Yes sell it and dont get another.
I also like toyota even though i am passionate about nissan more.
Buy a 4x4 money pit toyata cause "toyota is the best".
Have fun with your karma.

We test drove a heap of new cars such as the narava, amarok, ranger etc. We bought the trailblazer (wagon version of colorado). It has the mod cons, drives well, auto works well and its cheap to run its average fuel consumption is 8.8lts since we bought it. We tow a horse float with two horses which is 2700kg and it does it pretty good its a little done on power but most small capacity diesel are.

Remember the new 4wds are not really designed for heavy terrian work, if you want to do that stuff look at patrols, landcruiser or old hulixs.

As for the skyline put it in the garage and fix it later if you own it.