SAU Community

Will RB20DET Alternator fit RB20e?

dj8684

Hey guys,

The alternator on my RB20e in my A31 took a crap on me.  My buddy has a spare RB20DET one.  Will it swap over or are we going to end up wasting a few hours to try it to see.  Either way, I'll end up taking the old one out to rebuild it if necessary but I'd rather spend the few hours getting it down to a place to rebuild it rather than finding out the hard way the RB20DET one doesn't fit.

Thanks!

Dustin

Edited by dj8684

I can't see any reason why not. The brackets all bolt to the block, no involvement with the head, and the block is the same. The drive belt arrangements on the front should all be same same. Nissan didn't use different shit between different chassis if they could avoid it, let alone on the same basic engine in the same car.

• Like 1

Nice!  Well, that certainly gives some encouragement! We're gonna test it out today and I'll share my progress either way.  I know that the alternators have different part numbers from when I looked them up but then again, a lot of parts do even though they're interchangeable.  Let's see what happens!

So... I can CONFIRM that the RB25DET S2 alternator fits on the RB20e SOHC motor.  Everything was plug and play.  The RB25 one is a bit beefier which is nice so it should provide a little more juice.  The only thing I had to do was buy a slightly larger belt as the one for the RB20e was just a hair too small.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dj8684 said:

So... I can CONFIRM that the RB25DET S2 alternator fits on the RB20e SOHC motor.  Everything was plug and play.  The RB25 one is a bit beefier which is nice so it should provide a little more juice.  The only thing I had to do was buy a slightly larger belt as the one for the RB20e was just a hair too small.

Good work reporting results, threads with no outcome make baby jesus sad

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

hahaha true dat.  I'm actually starting to document all the stuff little by little on my YouTube channel.  I'm gonna start a build thread on here and post the links as a I go.  Sadly, I couldn't film the process on this one because I had to do it in my dark parking garage BUT now that it runs, I can actually take it out in the Sun and start the builds from there.  Here's the build intro vid if you wanna check it out:

• 1 year later...

Hey there,bringing back this forum

I have a c34 laurel with a RB20e and the alternator crapped out a couple weeks back. I managed to score a reconditioned RB25DET alternator out of an R33 which fit directly in etc, However it somehow looks misaligned to me. This may have been because i swapped over the RB20e alternator pulley onto the RB25DET alternator.

@dj8684 Did you just install the RB25DET alternator and RB25DET pulley and just get a bigger belt? Cheers.