SAU Community

Factory 270cc injectors

Hello, 

I have searched the forum and multiple parts stores and have yet to find a factory replacement for rb20det fuel injectors. I have no interest in upgrading to the GTR injectors because I do not have any Intention of tuning the car. It seems like keeping a Gtst stock and clean is one of the hardest things to do with these cars. 

Does anyone one have any viable options for replacing injectors without requiring any tuning. I recently had 2 of them clog while I was living in Japan and was able to get them cleaned at a performance shop. I regretfully did not ask if they had spares. But I am hoping to get my hands on a few before i have any issues with the rest of them. 

This is one of those situations where I would just Nistune the ECU and put in some Bosch ID14 based injectors. The car will 11ty times better afterwards. Staying stock just for the "niceness" factor is a bad idea when the niceness really doesn't exist except in your mind.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

This is one of those situations where I would just Nistune the ECU and put in some Bosch ID14 based injectors. The car will 11ty times better afterwards. Staying stock just for the "niceness" factor is a bad idea when the niceness really doesn't exist except in your mind.

The car only has 50k kilometers and is in near mint condition. I want to keep it stock for the drivability factor, it handles and performs pretty damn well for a 27 year old car. If I wanted to modify I would have started with a better platform like the GTR or an rb25 car.

With that being said, Nistune has always been an option but I have not been able to verify whether or not the Nistune type 2 board will solve the problem on its own. My understanding is that a Nistune will come with a base map but in order for the car to run any better than stock, if not worse, it will require a tune. I am living in Europe at the moment, there are very few shops that deal with Nistune.

Nistune is literally just a daughterboard on top of the stock ECU that allows you to edit values in memory in real time and read values in memory.

Nistune's base map should be the stock ECU map. I would be shocked if it were anything else.

I understand your desire to keep things stock to have good street driveability. The best way to do that is to find the most modern, split spray, high atomization injectors that will fit the stock fuel rail + intake with appropriate sizing for your power needs. 

http://www.nzefi.com/product/nissan-rb-440ccmin-top-feed-direct-fit-fuel-injector-kit/

Something like these Bosch 440ccs will likely have better atomization than stock for better driveability. The factory injectors are old tech and have poor spray pattern + atomization. All you have to do to retune is input the fuel injector data into Nistune with the base map, disable the O2 sensor, and check on the dyno that your AFRs for idle, cruise, and WOT are what you expect. If you just want stock performance you're done after that.

1 minute ago, GTSBoy said:

^ This. all of this.

Keep the stock injectors in a box for the "can return it to stock but never will because it would be a real backward step" warm and fuzzy feeling if you want.

i keep it stock or nearly stock because i like consistency. This car never had any surprises and i trust it to rev to the moon and back and never skip a beat, which it does daily. My previous RB cars, and other RB cars I've worked on, have never been the same once aftermarket parts started getting thrown on for the sake of performance. If trying to stay stock or as near stock as possible is for losers then I'll take that L with pride while i drive this car to 250k miles for the next 20 years. 

Thank you though for the input, and the link for those Bosch injectors. luckily they're all working just fine right now. If one of them fails and cleaning it isn't an option then i guess i'll have to bite the bullet and drop 2 grand on injectors, Nistune and dyno time ?‍♂️  

I do agree that a healthy dose of skepticism for aftermarket parts is a good thing, I think for a long time the default attitude was that aftermarket everything is best. But if you do your research you can find things that will be an actual upgrade and won't cost you in reliability. The 440cc Bosch injectors were originally designed for OEM applications in the early 2000s which means more stringent emissions requirements and reliability requirements due to longer emissions warranties.

5 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

I do agree that a healthy dose of skepticism for aftermarket parts is a good thing, I think for a long time the default attitude was that aftermarket everything is best. But if you do your research you can find things that will be an actual upgrade and won't cost you in reliability. The 440cc Bosch injectors were originally designed for OEM applications in the early 2000s which means more stringent emissions requirements and reliability requirements due to longer emissions warranties.

i would go ahead and swap them on now if i knew the car would run with them, unfortunately i know thats not the case without a tune. i installed a blow off valve on a cefiro once and the car went into limp mode, come to find out the rb20's take into account the surge of air in the factory recirculation system. it amazes me how sophisticated these cars were for the 90's. but it has its trade offs. 

1 hour ago, Old_Zeuski said:

i would go ahead and swap them on now if i knew the car would run with them, unfortunately i know thats not the case without a tune. i installed a blow off valve on a cefiro once and the car went into limp mode, come to find out the rb20's take into account the surge of air in the factory recirculation system. it amazes me how sophisticated these cars were for the 90's. but it has its trade offs. 

That isn't at all sophisticated if you look at how an afm functions. Definitely nothing to be amazed by.

14 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

That isn't at all sophisticated if you look at how an afm functions. Definitely nothing to be amazed by.

You don’t think it’s a little arrogant to say that it wasn’t an impressive feat for a 1980’s design on a entry level sports car? Handling multiple parameters, when the rest of the world was still saying goodbye to carburetors. 

I mean I understand how The wheel works too but it’s still pretty amazing that someone who didn’t wear pants was able to make one out of a rock a few thousand years ago. 

Just now, Ben C34 said:

But it is by nature of the plumbing that it works, not some kind of genius invention. It is dead obvious, just like a wheel!

Oh boy...

do you have any info on injectors that won’t require a tune? ? 

Just now, GTSBoy said:

Jesus. I put a Nistune into my Rb20 ECU and then into my Neo ECU and both those engines still have stock injectors. Tune = good. Not bad.

My old laurel had Nistune installed before I bought it, it’s a great system, and it’s cheaper than a full standalone. I understand what it does and it’s benefits, especially for a street car. 

You’ve made your point. Thank you. I’m just seeing if anyone out there has ever found a replacement for the stock injectors. It seems like the answer is no. So as I said before, I guess I will have to suck it up and Upgrade my ECU for something silly like a bad injector when the time comes. 

3 hours ago, Old_Zeuski said:

Tuning isn't rocket science. Changing injectors is dead simple, especially if you have the "feature pack" ROM for Nistune that allows for injector scaling without affecting the load scale. Matt seems to be pretty friendly to helping people out with simple jobs like this: http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?t=2656

Edited by joshuaho96