SAU Community

Front bumper number plate mount

PranK

Hi All,

I'm finishing up a respray on a 2nd hand bumper I bought. It has holes where the previous owner had no doubt used self tappers to mount the number plate. I don't want to mount my plate like that, I'd prefer to have some sort of mount or backing that I could semi-permanently attach to the bar and then screw into with the number plate.

I've had almost no luck finding anything, what I found was dodgy 1-size-fits-all Chinese options or genuine BMW options for $90. I'm hoping I can whip something DIY up and that somebody on here has done something similar?

Thanks,

Christian

which car? is there a factory option?

we self tapped for both the Leaf and the race car, it's the lowest profile look I can think of. If you want to be less dodgy you could use rivnuts to make it more easily removable

I made up and polished a s/s one prank.  I am pretty busy right now but will see if I have a photo of it somewhere.

The reason I made one up was cos every number plate I have ever seen is always hanging down over the FMIC and radiator area....this has got to affect temperatures.  The one I made sits the number plate above the air flow area.

• 1 month later...
On 19/06/2019 at 10:49 AM, Duncan said:

which car? is there a factory option?

we self tapped for both the Leaf and the race car, it's the lowest profile look I can think of. If you want to be less dodgy you could use rivnuts to make it more easily removable

The factory option is expensive and hard to find. Its for my E90.

I can't believe I've never used rivnuts before!! How awesome are these things!? I'll post pics when done.

On 23/06/2019 at 7:11 PM, tridentt150v said:

I made up and polished a s/s one prank.  I am pretty busy right now but will see if I have a photo of it somewhere.

The reason I made one up was cos every number plate I have ever seen is always hanging down over the FMIC and radiator area....this has got to affect temperatures.  The one I made sits the number plate above the air flow area.

Nice. I like bracket ones. The E90 has a big fat bit of front bar where the plate goes, so it won't affect flow too much.

20190513_135823.thumb.jpeg.62ec7c256bb1a