SAU Community

R34 radio fix (aftermarket headunit)

sean12343

Hey, alright so I can't seem to find any help on this issue anyway so I thought I'd ask here.

I have a aftermarket headunit (Kenwood ddx4) in my skyline r34. When I chose the radio mode on the headunit all I get is static.

I've heard it's because it's from Japan so the frequencys or something are different...Im honestly not sure why it's not working.

Is there a way to fix this so I can listen to radio channels ??

If the radio came from Japan *(installed in the car already) then the frequency band will be out.

If it is an Australian radio it shouldn't be an issue.

Assuming you have an Australian radio check that the antenna is connected to the head unit properly (it just pushes in). Air gaps in RF systems aren't normally helpful. Make sure the cable hasn't been damaged or cut anywhere.

An antenna cable that has been crushed is as good as useless as it will be creating an RF short, thereby meaning no signal will run the full length of the cable. Check the antenna cable for damage.

Thank you,

It is an Australian headunit and after some searching on other forums I found that window tint effects the antenna.

So I've bought an aftermarket antenna and will test fit it tomorrow to see if that fixes the problem.

• Like 1

Thank you,
It is an Australian headunit and after some searching on other forums I found that window tint effects the antenna.
So I've bought an aftermarket antenna and will test fit it tomorrow to see if that fixes the problem.
I'm glad you found this info... never occurred to me. [emoji848]
I was going to suggest using an FM transmitter and see if the radio works when your transmitting from in the car.

Come back if your new antenna doesn't work. Happy to keep throwing ideas at you. [emoji16]

My 34 had the active rear speakers and I recall having to choose between powering the factory speaker amp or the radio reception amplifier with the blue trigger lead from the head unit. May be worth checking. Took me a while to find the right info too and I don't remember where I located it

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone, the aftermarket antenna fixed the problem [emoji108] thanks everyone for your help.
Glad to hear it all worked out. You know where we are if you ever need help. [emoji16][emoji106]