SAU Community

Rb20det, how it feels under acceleration

I'm planning a future build and am wondering what an rb20det feels like in terms of acceleration. Im not after a pure track performance car but more something that feels fast and pushes you back into your seat even if its not practically fast. I'm guessing a big laggy turbo will help with the feeling and the fact the 20det is supposed to be gutless before boost. Also would around 230-250rwkw be easy to keep traction with stock springs, pineapples, good tires, correct camber etc (r32 coupe gtst) 

I know evos/wrx are probably the best at this feeling of being warp speed quick with their short gearing, awd etc but I prefer the looks and interior of the r32 

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, niZmO_Man said:

Yeah but the spool is siiik :P

True, it does end up moving along nicely, but gee, do you spend an eternity waiting to climb on boost... 

To be honest, I didn't mind RB20DET. R32 GTS-t is nicely geared for it. Didn't have issues spooling in traffic, was zippy for a late 80's turbo car. Once I broke the ceramic stocker turbo, the NEO6 replacement made it too laggy but was more fun. Off boost it was economical, I used to average 9L/100km in traffic (not thrashing it). This is on a completely standard R32 (including exhaust). R.I.P. little GTS-t.

My GT-R, more laggy but obviously more torque. Weight/4WD/gearing slows it a bit, but once it's above 3k rpm it hammers.

My R31, RB30E is basically a diesel compared to the other two haha. Even with the tall diff. Didn't rev nicely beyond 5k though. No replacement for displacement.

As said above, if you are going to go for bigger turbo, get RB25 at the very least. Unless you like lots of lag.

Do a 25/30 build.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:07 PM, E-HCR32 said:

It is gutless before boost, and that's why people replace them with 2.5s or 3.0L

did the 20det win any aussie group a races?

Yes. It was used in the R31 GTS-R.  

Won at Winton in 1989, Amaroo and Winton again in 1990.

Won the Sandown 500 in 1989.

Won a championship for Jim RIchards in 1990 along with the R32.

Be proud of your RB20. No RB25 ever won a Group A race.

Edited by djr81

21 hours ago, Steve85 said:

I drove a standard 26 dett. Absolutely gutless below 3.5k rpm. If you can go bigger than 2.0 you should.

Is PRP making progress on that dual VCAM they mentioned on their R&D page? That would really wake up the engine even with its 2.6L displacement.

Is PRP making progress on that dual VCAM they mentioned on their R&D page? That would really wake up the engine even with its 2.6L displacement.
I'm talking about my wife's car. It is never recieving any mods. [emoji50]
But yes Vcams would wake up a 2.6 off boost.

I think there are a few mods that can be done that won't screw up the character of the engine though. Really just quality of life improvements like the R35 coil conversion, R35 MAFs, R35 injectors, divided twin turbo pipe or Nismo intake pipes. But I don't hold a stock RB26 in any particular regard.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 3:06 PM, djr81 said:

Yes. It was used in the R31 GTS-R.  

Won at Winton in 1989, Amaroo and Winton again in 1990.

Won the Sandown 500 in 1989.

Won a championship for Jim RIchards in 1990 along with the R32.

Be proud of your RB20. No RB25 ever won a Group A race.

Ouch for the boat owners,  do you know if those racing RB20s had solid or hydrophilic lifters? I would love to be able to rev my RB20 out to 10K