SAU Community

R33 GTST Series 1 - New Boss Kit not cancelling Indicators

Hey Guys,

I've recently purchased a new momo steering wheel and an HKB Boss kit (ON-177) which is for HICAS and no airbag as my car does not have any airbags on my R33 GTST Series one (09/1993)

Everything has fitted together perfectly, the black plastic piece at the back of the boss kit fits over the horn plug socket and the Hicas lug attached to the clock spring no problem. My steering column has a white ring with 3 round small lugs that fit into 3 small round holes on the back of the boss kit, and they line up perfectly, which is for cancelling the indicators on wheel turn i believe.

With the stock steering wheel, indicators cancel perfectly, with this new setup they dont. I hear the clicking as the wheel is turned like you normally would hear it, but they just dont cancel. I've fitted and refitted, and checked and rechecked for hours, and nothing looks out of place. i also put the new wheel on, lined everything up, started the car, turned the wheel 90 degrees to the left, then took the steering wheel off and confirmed the white ring and 3 lugs rotated with the wheel exactly where i expected them to be.

I've compared the difference from the back of the original steering wheel to the back of the boss kit, and the only difference i can see is that the holes on the boss kit are about 1mm extra in diameter than the orig. wheel.

Attached are some pics of everything in question, I'm really hoping someone has come across this before as i'm at a loss as to whats causing it.

thanks in advance

IMG_20190622_120523.jpg

IMG_20190622_120554.jpg

IMG_20190622_121237.jpg

IIRC there should have been two plastic tabs/poles on your old steering wheel. These are used to cancel the switch when you start turning.

From the looks of your new wheel you're missing them.
(I might be off topic here as I'm referencing 10 year old memories).

I have seen references of this in my research, but i dont think i'm suppose to have them. My stock wheel is fine and turns off the indicators as it should. 

and if they were supposed to be on the old steering wheel, what would these plastics tabs fit into? theres nothing on the steering column except the clock spring and hicas mechanism.

If you could find me a photo of what your talkign about that would help alot.

Thanks for the reply

38 minutes ago, PashaK said:

I have seen references of this in my research, but i dont think i'm suppose to have them. My stock wheel is fine and turns off the indicators as it should. 

and if they were supposed to be on the old steering wheel, what would these plastics tabs fit into? theres nothing on the steering column except the clock spring and hicas mechanism.

If you could find me a photo of what your talkign about that would help alot.

Thanks for the reply

Ok, sorry. I was misleading you. My recollection (while correct for me) isn't what you need.

The wheels you have need the three little holes there lined up perfectly. I would suggest that they aren't quite lined up exactly. 
To this I would start by measuring the holes on each wheel to make sure that they are exactly the same. 

If they are great, it should then be a matter of just adjusting your boss kit ever so slightly until the new wheel drops into the alignment points. Once it's there it will cancel the indicators for you. It might take a few goes to get it lined up right. You might want to use some tape or a pencil on the top of the wheel to ensure you can line up the top hole correctly.

Thanks, I believe I've done everything you suggested. I used a black marker on the boss kit so i can see where the holes were as i was inserting it. if i noticed they were off slightly, i used a small tool to move the ring into place.

I also measured the diameter of the holes on old wheel and on boss kit and boss kit is 5mm, while old wheel is 4mm, but i dont think this is the cause.

And i confirmed that the white ring was rotating with my new wheel and boss kit.

Very strange

• Like 1

My limited understanding is those holes must line up. I could be wrong here but if they're a different distance they may not all (3) be lined up when you put the wheel on.

I'm afraid I'm probably no further help though specifically on this one though. Sorry, best of luck. [emoji106]