SAU Community

R34 won't hold gears

Hey everyone, 

Had a look through the forums and can't seem to find an answer. 

Recent swapped my Rb25det + gear box into a new shell, got it all running fine but the gear box won't hold the uneven gears (1,3&5) I can't hold the shifter in the gear and it drives fine but as soon as I let go of the shifter it pops straight out. 

Anyone had a similar issue? 

Duncan, long time stalker of yours haha. I've had my r34 gtt for over 15 yrs and am looking to get my standard box rebuilt as the sincro in 3 and 4 nackard. What options do I have in Vic. Car is tracked (4-6 times per year) and closing in on 325 rw kw.

Hold onto it long enough and it will go around to being a classic :) Wish I'd kept my 33 these days.

Sorry I don't have  a suggestion for box rebuild in Vic. Even in NSW the guys I'd used for years had disappeared :(

I would say that there is a very very good chance that the OP's problem is NOT that the gearbox is stuffed. The reported symptoms are that a gearbox that worked in the old shell won't stay in gear in the new shell. It is my opinion that the new shell was an auto, the gearshift hole in the tunnel is in a different spot and the rubber shift boot, which is bolted to the tunnel is pulling the shifter backward.

Seen it happen in my car. You need some delicate fettling to stop it happening. I think* I rotated the boot 180° to gain a little less tension in it.

*was more than 15 years ago now, so memory is fuzzy.

Edited by GTSBoy
puntuation
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

+1 to above

I did something funny with one of the rubber boots or shifter once and it kept popping out of gear. Had a muck around with the boots etc and came good

Simple test would be to remove the boots and take for a drive to see how it goes

From memory I may have had the shifter in the wrong way round? Dont really remember though but it was not a hard fix just something silly I had done