SAU Community

R33 GTS25T fitting GTR box

So next week we are undergoing the task of fitting a GTR box to a 25, it’s already been changed to RWD and has a pull to push swap but the best part it has a PPG 1-5 straight cut gear set fitted.

From what we know so far is a new gearbox cross member needs to be made and the drive shaft end changed but wanted to know if there are any other hidden things I need to get before we start 

2 hours ago, WR33KD said:

So next week we are undergoing the task of fitting a GTR box to a 25, it’s already been changed to RWD and has a pull to push swap but the best part it has a PPG 1-5 straight cut gear set fitted.

From what we know so far is a new gearbox cross member needs to be made and the drive shaft end changed but wanted to know if there are any other hidden things I need to get before we start 

Speedo drive -

Well I have it, the internal difference between a rb25 and a rb26 is the different length in shaft, it’s not stronger or better if anything it’s worse trying to fit to a gts as the mods are over the top to get that “GTR RWD box”.

Best thing to do is either take them apart and swap them or just get s replacement box for yours.

Say waht? Was the idea of putting the GTR box in because it was imagined that the GTR box was stronger? That's a fail in logic right there, seeing as they are essentially the same gearbox. The only good reason for the swap has been non-availability of RB25 boxes and availability of cheap GTR boxes. Which is a situation that doesn't always make sense either.

• Thanks 1

The box I brought was already made to rwd as well as the bonus of having a ppg gearset installed. After killing 4 25boxs it was time to look at other ideas to try and improve gearbox life

Yeah have to be looking at the right time to snap them up, but from research your need a adaptor plate and drive shaft.
But after all the pain and money wasted on rebuilding 25det boxes enough was enough

• 2 weeks later...