SAU Community

So I recently bought a completely "stock" gtr R32 and the guy I bought it from said it had $25k put into it but has supposedly has over 500hp with stock m24 turbos so I was wondering what internally would $15k get you to be at the point in hp? If anyone knows I would be grateful to know because crankshaft and pistons along with turbos are all stock

500HP sounds unreasonable. Dyno it and find out what the truth is. Then start thinking. We could tell you all sorts of fairy stories about how much power it could can and can't have on stock turbos. The M24 doesn't mean a lot - it's just the compressor cover casting number. The internals could be different to stock.

28 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

500HP sounds unreasonable. Dyno it and find out what the truth is. Then start thinking. We could tell you all sorts of fairy stories about how much power it could can and can't have on stock turbos. The M24 doesn't mean a lot - it's just the compressor cover casting number. The internals could be different to stock

The guy told me when money was put into it the motor was rebuilt along with the turbos he said the turbos are off rn and once the engine gets to 500 miles in the motor which is at 153 miles right now so if I dynod it I don't think it would make 500 n/a but he also said when motor is at 500 miles the turbos get tuned to be turned on I guess and it'll push somewhere from 500-700 hp

• Confused 1

Oh Boy!

I'm starting to have a bad feeling about this. When you say "the turbos are off right now", do you mean off the engine, not installed? Because if so, there is no reason, no reason at all, to try to run the engine without the turbos. I have absolutely no idea how you would go about trying to do so. You need to somehow connect exhaust manifolds to an exhaust system that normally relies on turbos to make the connection, and you have to somehow get the induction system to connect from the front of the plenum to the air flow meters. This is all big fabrication work for a completely unnecessary and bullshit "requirement" to run the engine in without turbos. No-one else in the rest of the world would do this.

If you mean simply that they are fitted but somehow "disabled", then that's not really possible either unless the wastegates are wired open. The only logical thing is that they might be set to low boost and the boost controller could be turned up later.

Have you paid money? Can you get it back?

You will NEVER make >500HP off stock turbos, let alone 700. It's a GTR, not a Dodge Demon. They were good for ~400HP. Maybe a bit more. Have a read around the threads in the forum. Here's one. It's the second post in the conveniently named sticky thread at the top of the FI forum about Rb26 power outputs from different turbos. Stock turbos making <450HP (at the engine) in 2005. At max (sensible) boost of 14 psi. https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/93880-rb26-turbo-upgrade-all-dyno-results/?do=findComment&comment=1700397

No as in what you were saying the turbos are set to 0psi(I should've specified that sorry) turbos spool but nothing greater than 0psi yes eachone after 500miles will be tuned to spool 12psi on each one but I don't think they'll push the car to 500-700 hp but my father to whom is a mechanic thinks it doesn't because he called the company that "built" the motor but me who is a jdm fanatic and worked on jz's and fa20's and Winkle rotors I know that out of the stock input/output won't create that much power but he likes to argue lmao. Just wanted to clarify it with others who know about RB's

1 minute ago, brzerkr said:

are set to 0psi

Difficult to achieve. Also pointless and unnecessary.

Most of us just drive gently for the first few miles (AND with standard break in practice of not just pussyfutting it around but making sure to give it a widely varying range of loads and revs), then lean on it hard. Many rebuilt engines are broken in on the dyno. They bed the rings in then start tuning and by the time all the power runs are finished it's had the hardest usage before the customer even gets in it.

If you have got an allegedly "just rebuilt" engine ask to see the receipts and see where the money was spent. As above I hope you haven't paid for the car.

5 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

Oh man. So you bought a car that has had a rebuild and not proven yet?

This can end bad

It'll be fineeeee. What's the worse than can happen Ben?

Honestly OP,  the whole thing sounds suss. To answer your original question to make 500hp on a rb26 is fairly easily and you don't really need to rebuild the engine if its in good condition to start with. 

For 500hp, you would need to hi-flow the twin turbos, potentially upgrade the injectors and nistune the ecu. 

As a general rule cars are only sold shortly after a rebuild if it has gone wrong in some way. It's often possible the rebuild may not have been done at all, just a claimed rebuild to try and sell the car. You should be extremely suspicious if someone claims a recent rebuild and get a full PPI done, possibly even an oil analysis and cut open the oil filter.

A lot of machine shops and engine builders just don't take enough care when doing rebuilds to achieve factory quality. If they can't produce receipts or invoices proving that it was rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing, you should walk away.