SAU Community

Nismo Weldina NE-1 Exhaust Installation Issue for BCNR33

Hi all, 

I have a 97 BCNR33. 

I recently bought a second hand set of the Nismo Weldina NE-1 Exhaust system. From the front to the back. 

s-l640.jpg

I took it to my mechanic that usually does all my mods and maintenance, but he has had trouble installing it.

He said that the Catalyst Sensor Assembly had rusted and needed replacing. 
We went ahead and bought a new one.

IMG-20190702-WA0004.jpg
s-l300.jpg

But now he has an issue attaching it to the nismo exhuast pipe as there is no pre drilled hole or fixing to hold or house the sensor.

I’ve googled Nismo R33 Weldina NE-1 Exhaust system installation problems or guides but nothing comes up apart from sales links and no one seems to have had this issue on the forum either. 

Is my mechanic barking up the wrong tree or is there a way round this please? 

Thank you

That temperature sensor is designed to tell you if the cat has failed and is blocked, it simply turns on a warning light on the dash if the exhaust is too hot. Everyone just disconnects it which is probably why there is nowhere to attach it to the new exhaust.

The r34 GTR does have a separate exhaust sensor in the dump pipes for dash display

Thank you for your reply. 

What is surprising to me is that nismo hadn't designed the exhaust system with this OEM sensor part in mind. Normally these top class Japanese products are meticulous. 

Moreover, this unit is second hand...so how did the previous owner get around this issue. 

My mechanic has suggested fabricating a boss but I am hesitant on drilling in to such a nice product.

Either just tape the sensor up out of the way or weld a bung in for it. Neither are difficult nor destructive.

As to why Nismo didn't make a spot for it......the original system has one cat, hence one good spot to fit a single sensor. The Nismo system has 2 cats, so it doesn't have a good spot to fit a single sensor. Seeing as fitting such a system implies no longer giving a f**k about trivial things like cat over temp sensors, they took the sensible approach and omitted it. Besides, if you had it, and you had a fault on the other pipe....you wouldn't know. Better to have your ignorance spread evenly over both pipes.

• Like 1