SAU Community

Manual conversion

Hey I’m looking at having a manual conversion done in my 1999 Nissan Skyline GTV sedan, I have all the parts required I’m just having a difficult time finding someone that would be willing to take on the job and was wondering if anyone could recommend anybody, preferably in the Newcastle Region but am willing to travel within NSW 

20 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Hey mate, 

I can immediately think of a dozen workshops that would do this job. How many workshops have you approached and what issues have you been having? 

I have approached the two local mechanics that had good reviews and they said no due to it being a lot of work and it will impact other jobs

Anybody who is good is busy. Anyone who is not busy....

The key is to build a relationship so a gearbox swap is probably a big first job. If you have not already, go visit the workshop (do not phone or email), show them that you mean business and have ALL the parts required and have some idea of the cash required and will be able to pay and ask them when they might have a window - given that it might tie up a hoist for a day or two (especially if you have forgotten a part).

8 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Anybody who is good is busy. Anyone who is not busy....

The key is to build a relationship so a gearbox swap is probably a big first job. If you have not already, go visit the workshop (do not phone or email), show them that you mean business and have ALL the parts required and have some idea of the cash required and will be able to pay and ask them when they might have a window - given that it might tie up a hoist for a day or two (especially if you have forgotten a part).

My local Mechanic has no intentions of touching the car has he doesn’t have the room, time or man power, I have all the parts that are required, I’m trying to find a mechanic that has done this before and knows what they are doing 

A lot of mechanics are concerned you don't have all the parts needed and being stuck with the car while the missing parts are sourced, also a lot just don't want conversion work 

As Murray says find someone that's done them before

5 hours ago, Billyboy369 said:

My local Mechanic has no intentions of touching the car has he doesn’t have the room, time or man power, I have all the parts that are required, I’m trying to find a mechanic that has done this before and knows what they are doing 

I'm guessing here but it sounds like your local mechanic only works on stock cars doing routine service work and minor repairs? 

It's time to start approaching performance workshops, any workshop that is doing engine swaps, engine builds, custom turbo setups and dyno tuning all in house will be able to breeze through this job. 

I hope you are prepared to pay a fair whack of $ to have this done as the big name performance shops aren't cheap. 

If you are trying to cheap out on this job, I'd say do it yourself and take your time. Try and bribe your mates with beer to get them to help out as well lol

1 hour ago, Murray_Calavera said:

any workshop that is doing engine swaps, engine builds, custom turbo setups and dyno tuning all in house will be able to breeze through this job.

For example. My bro-in-law's shop (sorry, wrong state) has done this job so many times that they don't even need wiring diagrams. It's all firmly fixed in brain.

4 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

I'm guessing here but it sounds like your local mechanic only works on stock cars doing routine service work and minor repairs? 

It's time to start approaching performance workshops, any workshop that is doing engine swaps, engine builds, custom turbo setups and dyno tuning all in house will be able to breeze through this job. 

I hope you are prepared to pay a fair whack of $ to have this done as the big name performance shops aren't cheap. 

If you are trying to cheap out on this job, I'd say do it yourself and take your time. Try and bribe your mates with beer to get them to help out as well lol

I’m not really to fussed on the price as I know a decent work costs a decent price I’ll give the performance shops a call and see how they go