• Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

Wheezy

RB25 hydraulic lifter replacement

Looking for some examples of people with aftermarket cams and new lifters.

Genuine lifters are drug money and there are some aftermarket options. But unsure if they will do the job as well as genuine.

Cams are 268 camtech.

Not looking at solid conversion as the rest of the valve train is sorted.

Ok, so is there something wrong with your current lifters, that you need to replace them?

Engine builder doesn't want to use them.

You can just plug them
Que?

Tell builder to use old ones unless noticeably worn. It's not a huge job if you have to replace lifters due to ticking. Not the same as not replacing rod bearings that requires a tear down to re address later.

Or plug them 😉

You can plug hydro ones to make them solid, this makes your redline go above 7500

Or you can dismantle and service them, despite engine manual saying no...i think its just time consuming, not done it myself.

4 minutes ago, WR33KD said:

You can plug hydro ones to make them solid, this makes your redline go above 7500

Where do you shim them in that case? And how are they plugged?

My hole head got sent down the line to get built when I built my motor, if I remember right it’s in Christchurch. Was either that or change the head

4 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

Or plug them 😉

1 hour ago, WR33KD said:

1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

Where do you shim them in that case? And how are they plugged?

Seems related to shimming VLSDs. Same level of mechanical respekt. Fo shizzle.

1 hour ago, WR33KD said:

My hole head got sent down the line to get built when I built my motor, if I remember right it’s in Christchurch. Was either that or change the head

not sure what "down the line" means. My question was regarding how are the valve clearances set when you make a hydraulic lifter solid? i havent seen it done, (aside from for dummy assembling purposes, checking piston to valve clearance, definitely not a running motor.)

If the lifters had no problems before and you have kept the oil well serviced then there’s no good reason to be rid of them now. I’m sure you can buy aftermarket lifters somewhere but it would likely be a gamble on the metallurgy and tolerances in them.

If the lifters had no problems before and you have kept the oil well serviced then there’s no good reason to be rid of them now. I’m sure you can buy aftermarket lifters somewhere but it would likely be a gamble on the metallurgy and tolerances in them.
Purchased the engine second hand.
Sighted running, but since I didn't know the history I've rebuilt it.

Hence my own apprehension to reuse too.

not sure what "down the line" means. My question was regarding how are the valve clearances set when you make a hydraulic lifter solid? i havent seen it done, (aside from for dummy assembling purposes, checking piston to valve clearance, definitely not a running motor.)

Down the line means down the other end of the country. Hence Christchurch is down the line of where I live.
Not sure how it’s done as it wasn’t me, the head alone is cost me just over 5k for the work done to it.
Was either that or a neo head